1992 Geo Storm 2+2 1.6 SOHC from North America
My favorite money pit :D Takes me around the world, and better than a girlfriend
This is a lengthy list, and only applies to the short time I have owned the car, so get ready. PS. I'm 21, and drive the car accordingly.
* Due to missing control arm bolt, left side CV axle "fell out" 10 miles from civilization. Fixed ~$120 (bent control arm replaced from pick'n'pull for $35).
* Rear-view mirror fell off after 2 weeks from a 500-watt 12" sub. Fixed for free.
* Original water pump seized up, draining all coolant and snapping timing belt; Shop said she was an interference type, and dead. I ignored them, fixed for ~$110.
* After new water pump, radiator sprung a leak, fixed with new radiator, ~$100.
* Due to poor performance, I replaced the fuel filter. ~$20.
* Alternator went out and lights started flashing. Fixed for ~$80.
* Power steering belt kept falling off new install. Realized previous mechanic bent the bracket. Power steering fixed for $10.
* Left headlight went out. Fixed for $8.
* Transmission output seal leaking, 24 labor hours later, 4 wrong parts, bent seal housing; luckily none of it my fault. Fixed for ~$60.
* "Skunk strip" from primer wear. Fixed for ~$35 with some satin black roll on and spray paint.
* Transmission pan hole due to off-roading in Guatemala (Central America). Fixed for 140Q (7.5Q=$1) for gallon of fluid, 15Q for metal epoxy, 15Q for hack saw to cut off part of damaged drain tube.
* Oil pan looks like a raisin from abuse. Not yet fixed.
* Suspension blown from offroading (sounds like marbles in a can at times), again, in Guatemala. Not yet fixed.
* Bent frame from offroading and Mexican/Guatemalan Topes/Tumulos/Speed "Bumps".
* Check engine light on occasions from EGR valve. Not yet fixed.
* Gear shifter light went out.
* Passenger side door no longer opens from inside. Recent development from Latin American drive.
* Passenger side mirror ripped off due to tight situation, allowing entry space for the clever. Not yet fixed, probably never will be.
* It's pulled a Toyota stuck accelerator move on me a couple times, but I've a secret technique for fixing; Usually scares passengers more than me; mwahaha.
* Brakes started to smoke after 10 mile drive down a latin american near 45 degree descent. I was stupid and didn't put it into 1st, done the same hill multiple time after with no problem.
* Slight oil leak around valve cover. Not yet fixed, but purchased gaskets for ~$10.
* Only gets 24MPG.
* Idle problems (erratic and low), has only stalled once, recently. Probably due to EGR staying open.
* Backed into a curb, bent back muffler, started the worlds worst/scariest vibration. Fixed for free by pulling, and reattaching to one rubber seat.
* Probably more, I just don't remember.
* Left side of driver side seat frame exposed; same as every other Geo Storm ever made ;)
* Badly cracked dash (same as every other Storm, again).
* Eats oil like a monster.
* High RPMs cause coolant leak by thermostat gasket.
* About a 10-15 less HP than it should have.
* It only has 3 gears ;)
* Oil changed every 3K.
* Fluids checked EVERY day I drive.
* Brakes replaced.
* See above.
Not too bad for 20K miles and 9 months of ownership ;)
* I'm pretty sure the Geneva Convention makes the back seats illegal.
* Friends call her the "Baby Marrow".
* Can't stop her when she gets going.
* I've kinda grown a fond attachment to this car, like an abusive relationship.
* Drove her from Oakland California to Guatemala C.A.; says at least something, but maybe more about me ;)
* Looks kinda cool all black without the hub caps. Knight Rider is the first thing to come to mind.
* Purchased for $600, So contrary to popular thought, I don't mind throwing money into her, or driving her like I stole her, regardless of blue book value.
* No cup holders, boohoo, but the area between seat and door works like a charm.
* Previous owner had very bad karma, which passed onto me and the car, blessed by tagging "be happy" and "love machine" under the hood; Been great after that :D.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 24th February, 2011