1994 Geo Tracker Convertible 8-valve 1.6 from North America

Summary:

It's a fun, reliable vehicle that's cheap to operate

I had to replace the muffler at 150,000 miles.

The turn signal and multi-function switch on the steering column failed at 175,000 miles.

The water pump failed at 195,000 miles.

General Comments:

This is far and away the best vehicle that I have ever owned. It's nimble, economical (for an SUV), and reliable as a stone. I found the acceleration to be reasonably quick, and the handling (in dry weather) to be better than one is lead to believe. The two-wheel drive versions (like mine) are lighter and have a lower center of gravity than the 4-wheel drive models. If equipped with mud and snow tires, even the two-wheel drive models get around well in the snow. All-season radials will NOT do the job. The vehicle is moved around by the wind, which is not surprising given it's tall profile, light-weight, and short wheelbase. One must use care on low-speed, off-camber corners in the rain, as it is easy to spin the vehicle if you jump on the gas in the middle of the turn. The ride is rather rough, and the interior noise is higher than in a larger, better-insulated vehicle.

I liked this vehicle so much that I bought a 2003 version. My daughter now drives the 1994 model. I have no doubt that if I had continued to drive the '94, it would have made 250,000 miles. It doesn't smoke and uses very little oil. I have always used synthetic oil, and feel that this has contributed to the engine's long-life.

Review Date: 26th May, 2003

1994 Geo Tracker 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Cheap and reliable

The dashboard light does not work, and I can't find a clue in any manual on how to check for specific relays or fuses that are not accessible to hand. The Haynes manual really lacks information on body and interior parts.

I also have a err9 warning on my stereo and doesn't work either. I would like to know if that's common and it has any meaning.

General Comments:

Very reliable car. I owned an eclipse before. Even though it was much faster and looked nicer than my tracker, this one starts every morning and has not given me any problem since I acquired it.

Review Date: 30th April, 2003

27th May 2004, 13:41

The dashboard light does not work, Did you turn the knob to the left of the dashboard. the fuses are located under the hood on the passenger side and under the dash near the door on the driver side.

I also have a err9 warning on my stereo and doesn't work either. Take it to a dealer or a junk yard and they can program it for you so you can enter your own code. usually cost around 35.00I would like to know if that's common and it has any meaning.

1994 Geo Tracker LSi 1.6 Liter from North America

Summary:

Solid, reliable, cheap to maintain

Absolutely nothing other than basic maintenance.

General Comments:

The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Replaced basic things such as brakes, battery, filters, spark plugs and soft top (it was the original). This vehicle did take some getting used to driving and I would not recommend for the nervous or first time driver.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2003

25th Jun 2003, 21:26

I was wondering why you think this car wouldn't make a good 1st time car? please email me at blondiebee974@aol.com

Thanks

Melissa.

1994 Geo Tracker rear wheel drive smallest made from North America

Summary:

A dangerous expensive choice for the inexperienced driver

New Engine at 95,000 miles.

New Transmission 100,000 miles.

New Starter 55,000 miles New starter at 235,000.

Rag top ripped 25,000 miles.

Rag top back window shattered in cold 20,000 miles.

Windows no longer roll unless using two hands 10,000 miles. Not fixed.

Front bumper fell off at 29, 000 miles.

Front grille fell out 50,000 miles.

First engine reconditioned 25,000 and 53,000 miles.

New Head gasket on first engine at 15,000 miles, 34,000 miles and 65,000 miles.

New wiring for electrical system at 85,000 miles.

Front seats torn at 25,000 miles.

Carpeting torn on front driver and passenger's side at 15,000 miles.

Rear door froze (3 door) at 34,000 mile.

Lock and hinges. Unable to be opened by body shop ever (2002 problem exists).

General Comments:

On the plus side, the Tracker has plenty of room.

Now for the negative:

It is not the car for emergencies or fast take offs when you need speed to avoid problems. Even new it lacked power.

The design and the lightness of the vehicle allows the wind and passing trucks to move the vehicle from it's lane. This causes the driver to fight to maintain control. I call it the kite.

It uses a large amount of gas for a light vehicle with a small engine. I expected better than 25 mpg open highway when the vehicle was new.

The design causes instability in driving. Since the weight is not distributed properly in the design it creates a problem when such actions as swerving occur due to objects on the road, an animal or if someone pulls out in front of you. The Tracker starts to "roll" by weaving from side to side requiring very experienced driving skills to recover.

It is extremely poor in rain or snow. Traction very poor even with new snow tires. Chains have been required by the tracker when another 2 wheel drive has not required it.

The rear wheel drive creates problems because it is on the body of what should have been a front wheel drive. It pushes when it should pull creating a greater skid which is harder to control. I have been in many of them with the tracker.

Body construction is very flimsy. Since it is suppose to be a utility/sport vehicle, I expected stronger construction. A neighbor backing into the front of the tracker while she was parking and took off the bumper. Due to this bump we had several problems caused by the design of the tracker. It was repaired by a very good body company.

First our grille fell out which was traced to the bumper falling off.

Our front passenger door later pulled loose and cannot be reattached properly. Rust got into the area where the bumper came off at and rusted out the panel. The door is hanging by it's main hinge and cannot be used unless someone opens the door for you.

Review Date: 10th December, 2002

9th Jan 2003, 19:52

I say the Tracker is a good little car, but it was never meant for the off roading it was said to be for. The Tracker is best for people in high school or college. But not for the every day drive around to work or shopping and is definitely not the best for long trips.