1994 Geo Tracker Reviews - Page 8 of 12

1994 Geo Tracker 1.8 Litre 8-valve from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8 Litre 8-valve Manual
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

A cheap and solid little 4x4...

1. Radio trim piece was broken.

2. Passenger dash mounted vent was broken.

3. Transmission has bearing noise in 3rd and 5th gear.

4. Factory radio does not work.

5. Rusted left front fender.

6. Lots of parking lot dents.

7. Noisy and "rattle ridden" on the road.

General Comments:

1. Reliable 4x4. Very stable and able when operated with common sense.

2. Good gas mileage (25mpg) and still needs to be tuned up.

3. Basic vehicle (which I really like). Just engine, drivetrain, and body.

4. Very nimble and maneuverable (cause of its small size).

I bought this vehicle to replace my old 5.0 Mustang (fun car, just tired of winter slip wars).

Most of the problems with my Tracker are from a lack of care from the previous owner(s). I assume that the bearing noise in the transmission came from 20,000+ miles of driving with low gearbox oil (it was half empty when I bought it). It's about $800.00 to repair the transmission where I live. To me this is not a big deal since I have near no cost in the truck.

I plan to redo the Tracker into a usable "working 4x4" for myself modifications to include:

1. Custom snow plow.

2. Wide tires.

3. Additional gauges in the dash.

4. Cruise control.

5. Winch.

6. Exterior lights.

7. Decent stereo system.

8. Carpet padding (quiets the road noise).

Tips:

When buying parts. check with a Suzuki dealer since the Tracker and the Sidekick are pretty much identical (99% identical???). Most of the time, Suzuki parts are a little cheaper.

Check the fluids (engine, axles, gearbox, transfer case) and check them often.

Grease/pack drivetrain components/parts.

Review Date: 21st January, 2002

3rd Apr 2004, 15:28

What is carpot padding? What brand or type of cruise control are you going to install? I have never liked the ones that have the sensors on the drive line, especially on 4X4's. Marvin marvinb@pacifier.com.

1994 Geo Tracker LSi 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Manual

Summary:

A great 4X4 for the money!

I have had no problems whatsoever, I change the oil every 3000 miles with Pennzoil, and I change the spark plugs and wires annually.

The soft top does need replaced, however the current one doesn't leak or anything, it just starting to look worn and the windows are scratched.

General Comments:

I put large tires on my tracker and it handles a lot better, they are Goodyear Wrangler 225/75/15. I have noticed, since day one, that hydroplaning is a common problem, due to the short wheelbase I believe.

I have had tremendous success with the four wheel drive, it has gone in snow where Jeeps can't!

Review Date: 20th September, 2001

5th Sep 2004, 22:47

Hydroplaning has nothing to do with the wheelbase, but is dependent on tire size and tread design and to some degree the weight of the vehicle with all other factors, ie: water depth, road gradient, road surface, etc... being equal. I have a 1995 Geo Tracker that has never hydroplaned on me. I run 31X10.50R 15 Goodyear mud terrain radials.

1994 Geo Tracker DX 1.6 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2001

Summary:

An affordable and reliable car

The Tracker seems to be very tipsy. You cannot perform any type of sudden or sharp turn without running the risk of tipping over.

The outside of the Tracker seems to rust very easily.

I have had to replace a door due to the amount of rust.

There are no air bags or any type of safety device, besides seat belts, in the Tracker.

General Comments:

This car is very reliable.

It can take you were you need to go.

I use it as a student in High School and it is very useful to me.

I recommend it.

Review Date: 24th June, 2001

20th Sep 2001, 17:00

If you put larger tires on it, it will not feel tipsy, I put Goodyear wranglers on mine 225/75/15 and it takes turn 100% better!!

5th Sep 2004, 22:53

Actually, putting taller tires on any vehicle will make it more top heavy and less adept at cornering because it raises the center of gravity. My Tracker originally had 205X70R15 tires and I could fly around corners. I replaced them with 235X75R15 and could really tell the difference. I could not corner near a quickly due to the center of gravity being raised nearly two inches. Then, to use the truck off road, I put a 2" body lift, a 2.5" suspension lift and 31" tires on it. Now it leans like a drunken sailor around turns due to the center of gravity being raised almost 7" over stock. Better tires will make it corner better, but taller tires will not.

7th May 2005, 11:14

Replacing stock tires with taller or wider ones may be necessary for better flotation in mud, or more clearance in rough terrain. Tires with taller sidewalls than stock will have a greater circumference. This will result in "taller" drive ratios. Simply put: You will have to rev the engine more or slip the clutch more to start out without stalling. With auto trans: Start and acceleration will be even slower. Other side effects were covered in other comments. Stock tires were selected by Suzuki for the best combination of power, fuel mileage, handling, noise and cost. What a compromise!