2003 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 10 of 10

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 5.3 from North America

Previous carDodge caravan

Summary:

Best high-end SUV on the market, hands down

The service 4x4 indicator light came on at 10 000 km, but didn't come back on again later. It has still not come back on.

Otherwise, nothing to note.

General Comments:

I recently went to Florida from Ontario with this SUV, which my Dad bought himself. This was the first serious trip with the car. I have to say that it was the most comfortable ride ever. We hit some serious flakes north of Syracuse and switched it to 4x4 hi and it handled it like nothing. This thing has all the bells and whistles that enhance the driving experience. The stereo, leather seats, heated seats, multi adjustable power seats...etc. Even in the middle row, I found it comfortable except one complaint about poor road visibility. You have to look down to see the road ahead, otherwise you see the hood of the truck. This may not bother anybody else however. Another gripe I have about it, this is with every SUV, is the mileage. The best we got on the trip was 21 mpg. This obviously accounted for the most expensive part of the trip. We should have taken my KIA down and gotten twice the mileage; but then again it wouldn't have been half as comfortable.

I think the ON STAR is cool, but we never would need it except for the first aid bit or if the car gets stolen. We'll see if my dad renews in a year. I'm guessing not.

Otherwise a good buy for SUV types

Review Date: 6th April, 2004

9th Aug 2004, 07:08

Hey, it's me who wrote the original comment. I have a few updates.

Over the past few months, I think every trouble icon on the dash has had a chance at blinking, each of which has required a trip to the dealer. One episode involved the low engine power light coming on which necessitated driving back 50km at 20km/h. Another trip involved changing of the fan clutch. You get the point. The truck has been into the dealer 5 or 6 times since about a year, each requiring part changes and expensive (warranty covered) work. I think the dealership is praying until 60000km when the warranty is up and we're left with this lemon to fix ourselves. Buyer beware of the 2003 Envoys. If anybody else has had these problems with their Envoys, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

2003 GMC Envoy LX from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Great family truck

On a incline and a snowy day, I put the truck in reverse and four wheel drive to get up the driveway, and the truck wheels locked up. I had to turn the two wheel drive back on before the wheels would unlock.

I also found the entire cabin courtesy lights off when I opened the trucks doors.

General Comments:

Overall I love this truck. I have twins and the roomy truck makes it easy for a mom to put down the third row and change diapers. The leg room was a factor also, and it surpassed our expectations even in the third row!

We are not fond of the seat belts due to the fact that they are not adjustable and cut into our necks.

Steering is very easy, which was a difference in the German cars that we previously owned. I also love the feature on having Onstar on board. Knowing that you will have someone locate your truck when stolen, and also the hands free phone service is wonderful.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2003

2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4.2 liter Vortec straight 6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2 liter Vortec straight 6 Automatic
Previous carDodge Durango

Summary:

Best 7 seater on the market by far, Suburban/Yukon XL alternative

The only fault to date is the sensor which controls the air conditioning temperature (according to the set temperature and the temperature of the car without the climate control) was defective at delivery. We brought it in a little after 1 month, the dealer was absolutely excellent about it. They gave us a 24 hour test drive vehicle (Buick LeSabre) and they didn't give us a subcompact either.

Occasionally the center console and other interior parts creak, which isn't a big deal (it isn't that bad).

The fuel economy we are getting is not good compared to what we should be getting (10 vs. 15). Maybe it needs to be broken in. If anyone knows the problem, please let me know.

General Comments:

This vehicle is probably the best 7 seater around.

The luxurious interior is unsurpassed by anything made in this country.

I love the convenience of the 6 disk CD changer in dash. The Bose sound system is great.

The rear heating/air conditioning is a major plus.

Little details make all the difference. The grocery hooks, the rear shelf, the ease of getting into the third row, the ease of folding down the rear seat, the split folding third row, and lots of other things really make a difference.

The vehicle is built on a truck platform yet it drives and rides like a car thanks to an independent suspension.

It has more third row room then a Tahoe or Yukon, gets better fuel economy than a Suburban/Yukon XL and is much nicer and cheaper, and drives better too.

Bottom line: looking for a SUV, look at an Envoy or Envoy XL.

Review Date: 27th June, 2003

12th Feb 2004, 15:18

My grandma bought a Chevrolet Blazer and it was getting bad fuel mileage and she doesn't "beat" it she drives it like anyone else would and when she got to 7,000 miles the motor got off of the computer set break in period and she got the fuel mileage that was promised. I hope this helps with the problem.