2003 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 3 of 10

Year of manufacture2003
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission L6 Automatic
Previous carGMC Envoy

Summary:

The car has a very nice ride

The passenger side heat works fine, but the heat on the driver side blows cool air. There is no heat or A/C in the rear of the vehicle.

General Comments:

No problems.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2009

19th Mar 2010, 22:40

I have a 2003 Envoy that had the same heating/cooling problems. Ended up being a costly fix. The dealer will tear out the dash and replace an actuator. 800 bucks.

2003 GMC Envoy XL from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Comfortable, but not worth the price in repairs to maintain

Transmission began slipping and not engaging into 1st gear after only 40,000 miles, unfortunately our extended warranty of 5 years or 75,000 had just passed by less than a month. GM refused to cover the costs to replace the sensors that were causing the problem, an independent mechanic ended up fixing the problem.

Currently at 50,000, differential seals began to leak oil onto the oil pan and then drip onto the floor. The problem was becoming more and more serious, so took it to an independent mechanic who fixed it, however labor was 7 hours, so total cost parts and labor was $800.00 to fix an oil leak that should have never occurred on a car that is garaged, driven carefully and consistently maintained.

General Comments:

The car is very comfortable and my family loves it, but with these 2 issues, I cannot possibly recommend buying another GMC car or GM car ever again. Next time, I'm buying a Honda, Toyota or an Acura. If I have another major issue with this car, I'm going to trade it in.

From reading the issues related to the 2003 Envoy on this website, sounds like I haven't even had nearly as many problems as many other owners. Maybe I should just trade it in now.

Review Date: 18th November, 2009

2003 GMC Envoy SLE 4.2 from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Most recent distance72000 miles
Previous carGMC Envoy

Summary:

Don't waste your money on a 2003 GMC Envoy!!!

1) Replaced brakes twice within 3 years and with less than 30,000 miles.

2) Replaced rotors and battery.

3) There is a clunking noise when making left turns only.

4) There is a creaking noise in the front end when you hit a bump.

5) Replaced A/C compressor.

6) Replaced fuel pump.

7) Emergency brake doesn't work.

8) Ticking sound in engine while running idle.

9) Only front speakers work, but all speakers work if there are 2 or more days of dry weather (no rain or snow).

10) Replaced blower motor resistor.

11) Driver door module is broken.

12) Check engine light constantly on.

13) Rear windshield wiper only works on 3 sometimes not at all.

14) At least 4 times a year the brakes fail for a few seconds (even after replacing with brand new brakes and rotors).

15) Recently experiencing power failure upon starting almost to the point where it wants to stall.

16) Oil ascending unit leaks.

I have easily spent over $3000 in repairs on this vehicle already and there are still problems that need to be fixed.

I am a middle age female who maintains this vehicle on a regular basis and doesn't drive it hard. I put a little over 10,000 miles a year on it. There is no reason why I should be experiencing so many problems.

General Comments:

Many of the features of this vehicle is what made me purchase it (3rd row seating, 4WD, power windows and locks, key-less entry, and appearance).

This SUV is comfortable and rides nice.

Other than that, it is a piece of crap and money pit.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2009

16th Sep 2009, 23:24

You obviously got an incredibly abused USED Envoy. We purchased our 2003 SLE 4.2 brand new in early 2003. It now has close to 80,000 miles on it. So far it has had one battery, one set of tires and one light bulb.

I'm a mechanic and I put the car up on jack stands last weekend, checked everything from bumper to bumper and found NOTHING needing attention. The brake pads are original and still have wear left on them. All hoses, the drive belt and all suspension components are showroom fresh. It has never had a tune-up, as no new domestic requires one before 100,000 miles.

I seldom ever have to replace brake pads on ANY of our domestics before 100,000 miles (our Honda was a different story, it went through them like a kid eating candy).

Our Envoy is one of the most solid, well-built vehicles we've ever owned. I suspect yours was either wrecked or horribly abused by its previous owner.