2003 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 4 of 10

2003 GMC Envoy LX from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carAcura CSX

Fan clutch and wheel bearings at 94,000 miles.

General Comments:

Another victim of the poorly designed fan clutch in my Daughter's 2003 Envoy. $250.00 at the local parts store and my time to install. 95,000 on the odometer. But obviously this could have happened earlier reading past posts.

Too bad for GM they're not retaining customers by ignoring this problem. I'll be holding on to my paperwork in case they decide to step up and do the right thing.

Review Date: 5th May, 2009

15th May 2009, 20:49

94,000 miles is a lot. By that time we had had so many problems with our Honda that I couldn't list them all. It didn't even make 100,000 miles and was sold for scrap at around 99,000 miles. Neither our 6-year-old GMC or our 9-year-old Pontiac has ever had anything except 1 burned out light bulb.

2003 GMC Envoy SE Standard from North America

Engine and transmission Standard Automatic

Summary:

Poorly build mechanics but overall a decent car

I've had the power steering cause me nothing but problems. This is the 4th time it's gone out and will be the 2nd time while no longer under warranty that it's happened. I called GM last time and asked THEM to foot the bill. It's obviously a manufacturing gliche that keeps causing it! They paid for it 100% last time. I got another service number and will ask the same. I'm not going to pay for a problem that KEEPS occurring less than every 10,000 miles. There is no excuse for it!

Boot, gear box, sway bars, power steering pump, and probably much, much more. Right now I've got power steering fluid pouring out everywhere. I love my truck, I HATE the manufacturer!

General Comments:

I love the Envoy, we just bought a fully loaded cherry red one in 2009 but I could do without all these hassles in steering issues. It's a safety hazard!

Review Date: 4th March, 2009

2003 GMC Envoy LT 4.2 from North America

Previous carSubaru Impreza

Summary:

Excellent vehicle

General Comments:

Car was a good price, excellent options in comparison with other vehicles.

The Toyota Highlander was no where near as nice, as big, it's gas mileage was about the same, and it was more expensive for the same amount of options.

Why someone would buy a Toyota over this car is pure psychological.

My inlaws have a Highlander and it's OK, but I would have been settling for much less.

Review Date: 10th December, 2008

2003 GMC Envoy SLE 4.2 from North America

Previous carMercury Cougar

Summary:

Will not purchase another one

Yes, it seems like some others have a few of the same issues I've had with my Envoy.

I just replaced the low beam/daytime running lamps, and was forced to visit the dealership because the part need was only a dealer item. It was the dimmer switch which isn't sold anywhere else. They installed it 475 dollars later.

Now my engine coolant temp sensor seems to be malfunctioning. This is not a dealer item, but I can't find it anywhere but at the dealer of course.

General Comments:

Well, the car has lasted me for as long as I can expect American made cars to last (5 years max). It's a great ride, but people are right about it being a money pit.

Review Date: 16th October, 2008

26th Oct 2008, 15:28

After driving 3 Explorers over the years, we bought a 2003 Envoy in 2003 and have never been more pleased with any sport utility vehicle. After 5 years we have encountered not a single problem. We plan to drive it another 150,000 miles. Our other GM vehicle (a Pontiac) is 8 years old and it has never had a problem either. GM builds very reliable stuff.

2003 GMC Envoy XL 2WD 6 cylinder engine from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder engine Automatic
Most recent distance122000 miles
Previous carGMC Van

Summary:

Disappointing

Had to replace the water pump and serpentine belt.

Had to replace the motor mounts, seals and sensors.

Replaced the fuel tank because it was leaking.

Had the front stabilizer bushings replaced.

Had one rear window regulator replaced, and the other rear window also needs replacing.

Rear blower stays on when the vehicle is off.

Sometimes the check engine comes on because the seal on the gas cap is not tight enough.

General Comments:

The car was fine for the first 4 years we owned it, but in the last year it just seems to be falling apart.

Review Date: 14th October, 2008

26th Oct 2008, 15:30

You must have gotten a car built on a Friday. Our 2003 Envoy has been the most trouble-free and all around best larger vehicle we've ever owned. We plan to keep it another 150,000 miles.

1st Nov 2011, 19:41

Sounds like normal wear and tear to me. Bought new at 122000 miles. The belt, you have to replace those, and while replacing the belt, a lot of dealers will sell you on the water pump, the just in case service while we are in that area. All the other stuff is normal too, so why disappointed; you drive 25000 miles a year, and now what you are calling problems are normal service, wear and tear.