2003 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 8 of 10

2003 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2 from North America

Previous carChevrolet C1500

Summary:

This is a nice auto with a lot of workmanship issues

The fuel tank has a crack where the filler neck meets the tank. After speaking with the dealership I decided to call GM. I explained my issue with spending $1400 to replace the tank was the fact that the service manager told me that he has seen several of these issues. They are due to the fact that the EPA regulations the fuel tank cannot release pressure and that causes failures to the tank and other parts of the fuel system. This is not an issue that should be considered normal wear and tear. This is a serious issue that if not corrected could kill a lot of people. Undetected, the tank can leak fuel as well as fumes that are highly combustible. The only thing they offered me was a better discount on a new or used car. Long time GM buyer, never again.

Review Date: 26th July, 2007

20th Sep 2007, 22:32

I agree 100% / GM is not the car manufacturer they used to be, and they don't stand behind the product anymore.

I will never buy another vehicle from GM again.

2003 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2L Automatic

No start, Gauges going haywire. Battery is new.

General Comments:

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? There are several people out there with the same symptoms.

Review Date: 6th July, 2007

2003 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2 straight 6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2 straight 6 Automatic
Previous carSubaru Forester

Summary:

Hands down, the best vehicle I've ever owned

Check engine light came on, and the engine idled high after driving for 10 hours straight. Fixed with a computer firmware update at around 30,000 miles.

Stabilizer links on both front and back were replaced early on (around 40,000 miles). They haven't needed attention since.

Axle seal started leaking around 120,000 miles. Relatively easy fix.

General Comments:

As hard as it might be to believe for an American car, this GMC Envoy has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have put 120,000 miles on it since I purchased it used three years ago, and have had only a few very minor problems. This stands in stark contrast to the 2001 Subaru Forester I owned previously, which had many EXPENSIVE things go wrong with it.

On this Envoy, the A/C is still ice cold, the electronic 4wd system works perfectly, the very comfortable leather seats have shown no wear, the engine starts and runs absolutely flawlessly every time, and the transmission shifts smooth and strong, even when pulling a stock trailer with four horses totaling around 6000 pounds.

Even the gas mileage isn't so bad... I'm averaging about 19 mpg. Granted, it's not as good as, say, a Mazda Protege, but then again, a Protege can't tow horses.

One extra thing worth noting... in all the time I've been driving this vehicle, I've not needed to replace my brake pads. Most of my driving is highway driving, but even so... 137k miles on the original pads and still going is amazing.

I cannot sing enough praise about the GMC Envoy. Well done, GM, for delivering such an exceptional product.

Review Date: 24th May, 2007

2003 GMC Envoy SLE 275HP I-6 from North America

Engine and transmission 275HP I-6 Automatic
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

The best available SUV for the money

Since purchasing the car we have had absolutely no problems of any kind.

General Comments:

Incredibly smooth and powerful. The 6 provides so much power I can't imagine why anyone would want the 8. This car has more power than the majority of V-8's on the market.

The ride is quiet and smooth, with a solid and secure feel.

The braking is absolutely amazing. The 4-wheel anti-lock brakes and 17" Michelin tires bring this rather large vehicle to a safe and straight stop in a surprisingly short distance.

Like all GM vehicles, the interior is well-designed, with all controls placed for excellent access. The fit and finish is superior to everything else we looked at (see below) and the quality of the interior materials is top notch.

Although the fuel mileage of all SUV's is terrible, we average between 17 and 19mpg, with an occasional 20+ on road trips. Not bad considering that our smaller Ford Explorer with the far less powerful V-6 never managed over 17mpg, and my wife's father's Expedition averages between 7 and 11mpg.

After three full years of use we have yet to have even a hint of a problem with anything on this vehicle. Before purchasing it, we test drove the Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murano, Saturn Vue, Ford Escape and (new) Explorer, Kia Sorento and Dodge Durango. The Envoy absolutely blew them ALL away in terms of power, handling, smoothness and a quality feel. I'd recommend the Envoy to anyone interested in a solid, well-built and dependable vehicle. We'd buy another one without a second's hesitation.

Review Date: 16th June, 2006

7th Feb 2007, 15:26

The V8 is a must if you get the XL model. More power, same gas mileage!

28th Aug 2007, 11:54

Original reviewer again. Just wanted to add an update. The Envoy is still flawless after more than 4 years of daily driving. We have yet to encounter a single problem with the car.

The 275 hp inline 6 provides awesome acceleration and excellent fuel mileage, the ride is the best in its class, and the level of comfort on trips is great.

Our best friends just opted to buy an Envoy based on our experience with ours. Their previous car was a Mercedes.