2003 GMC Envoy from North America

Overall, we like this car, except we haven't made our first payment, and it's been in the shop 2x; once for the thermostat, and the other was the clutch fan. I hope that's all the problems for now.

You will know if the clutch fan is bad, when you hear a load roaring sound when you take off, and it almost sounds like your car isn't shifting, but it is, and the dealerships charge an arm and a leg to fix this problem. You can buy the clutch fan at Advance Auto Parts for 1/2 what you can get one for at the dealer, with the life time warranty; the dealership only offers a one year. When the clutch fan goes bad, you will also lose gas mileage dramatically.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2010

24th Dec 2010, 14:58

You sound like a savvy car buyer. Although we still haven't encountered the clutch fan issue (we are just under 100,000 miles with ours), it is a relatively cheap and easy fix if you do it yourself. When (and if) mine goes out, I'm going to see if I can replace it with a light weight high performance flex fan. I believe one is available.

We bought our 2003 Envoy new, and thus far have not even replaced the brake pads. Nothing other than one battery and one set of tires.

Our "check engine" light has been coming on for 4 years, but these lights generally mean nothing. If the car runs smooth, doesn't lose power or show a drop in fuel mileage after two weeks, I generally don't even bother to check the code. Usually a can of injector cleaner and a tank of premium gas will cause our light to go off.

I've read comments about problems with the Envoys and Trailblazers (exact same vehicle), but we have not encountered a single problem with ours. You can't tell it isn't a brand-new vehicle.

I hope you have as much good luck with yours as we have had with ours. Since GM stupidly dropped these excellent body-on frame SUV's, there are no longer any true mid-sized SUV's on the market. We plan to drive ours another 100,000 miles.

24th Dec 2010, 21:28

It was the best move GM has made in a long time, dropping these low quality poorly designed trucks. They are riddled with many many problems that a quick Google search will list out for you. We had nearly all of them on both of our TB's, which are exactly the same vehicle. I will buy import SUV's forever, thanks to GM and these junk trucks!

2003 GMC Envoy XL 5.3 V8 from North America

I had my check engine light come on several times on my Envoy. Tried the gas cap, and many other things to no avail. Finally was able to figure out it was a bad gasket. The ones that come with the Envoy are cheap plastic one that crack and cause are to be sucked in. Replaced it with the metal version of the gasket, and have not had any problems since.

Review Date: 18th July, 2010

2003 GMC Envoy XL 4.2 from North America

Summary:

Refund!

Problems with the Envoy have been many.

Battery has drained numerous times; replaced twice.

Gas gauge does not work.

Speedometer does not work.

Left rear rotor bad (@ 75,000 miles) due too bad brake pad, worn completely out, so replaced right side as well.

Had a local mechanic replace a control module in driver side door from GM, fixed gas and speedo, both not working again.

Tail light bulbs failing.

Clunking sound in the front end when going over any kind of bump/pot-hole.

Lower valance on front bumper lost the clips that secure it to the bumper on each side. (Not due to hitting a curb.)

There are some more, but those are the big ones.

General Comments:

When we bought the Envoy we were very pleased, but now not so much.

I like the power, the room and the third row, but the little things that were wrong turned into a big deal.

I hated getting jumped all the time with the battery issue, which has just "gone away".

I don't know what to think of this SUV, or GMC for that matter.

I have had a '03 GMC 1500 before, loved it, no worries.

Have to say overall that I hate this SUV, trading it off soon.

Wish I had my Audi TT back!

Review Date: 11th July, 2010