1999 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

Ongoing transmission and emissions problems

Constant problems with the catalytic converter.

Complete transmission failure.

General Comments:

The engine is remarkable - it seems to be indestructible. The transmission is another story. Look around and you'll find similar stories of multiple transmission replacements even at lower mileage. Also, it's a constant battle to keep the check engine light from coming on, almost always related to the catalytic converter & O2 sensors.

The vehicle is fairly comfortable and has superb visibility, but I would tell anyone to stay away due to the issues I mentioned. It's also noticeably noisy at highway speeds. As old as these vehicles are at this point, I'd say the best case scenario is to get one on the cheap for short term transportation.

Review Date: 16th March, 2015

1999 Honda Odyssey V6 from North America

For all its woes, still in love

Transmission @ 134k

Catalytic converter 200k

Ignition switch twice: 120k and 205k

Power doors-frequently

General Comments:

Manufactured in Canada.

First, the power doors. We found that when kids left the interior lights on and drained the battery, and we had to jump the car, the power doors worked perfectly as well. Since then, whenever they get sluggish, or refuse to close, or close, then open up again, we just disconnect the battery terminals for a while, and they work fine.

The ignition switch gets overheated, frying some wires, and resulting in the car just turning off, usually on the highway. No codes, so mechanics will tell you "EGR?, spark plugs? bad gas?". When my mechanic pulled the switch out the second time, you could see the scorched connections.

I had a local muffler shop cut out the expensive Honda Cat Converter that had gone bad, and put in a regular one. Too many miles to spend the 800 or so quoted on a Honda converter. Have had no problems with check engine since, but I will knock on wood, as it could come on tomorrow.

A local tranmission shop replaced Honda tranny at 134K. Seems like it is failing, again. Sort of holding our breath on that one. Frequent CEL lights, usually clear at inspection time.

Motor mounts worn, one broken. We never changed the spark plugs or timing belt. Oops. Regular oil changes at Jiffy Lube. New brake pads periodically. This van just hasn't complained too much.

I cannot believe we hit 215K. It sounds and runs so quiet, still. Wish we could go another 40K, but we keep saying that. Now we use it just locally, and who knows how far it will carry us. Great for kids, for travel, for teens who ski in winter and mow lawns in summer...

Review Date: 23rd June, 2010

1999 Honda Odyssey from North America

The car is a beauty, but it built to fail with expensive repair costs!

Automatic doors stopped working. Can't open them from the inside even if the automatic power is turned off. Safety hazard with kids in the car.

Engine and TCS light have been on for months.

EVG replaced, catalytic converter replaced, both brakes and kit that holds brakes in place numerously replaced.

Transmission just went out.

Both mechanisms that hold up the driver and passenger windows have broken, and the glass slipped into the door!

General Comments:

The car handles well, and I like the bucket seats in the middle when it is operable!

Review Date: 5th July, 2009

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 3.5 liter from North America

Best minivan there could ever be

No problems whatsoever, not even the transmission. Only routine maintenance items like the catalytic converter have had to be replaced. Runs strong, does not use any oil.

General Comments:

I take care of my vehicles--change oil regularly using only Mobil-1, keep it clean, keep clean filters in it, etc. By doing this and treating the Odyssey carefully, I have had no mechanical problems in 223,000 miles. It still runs strong and smooth.

With the transmission, if you will avoid hammering it in and out of Park and give it a couple of seconds to shift in or out of Reverse, it'll last basically forever like mine has.

My only wishes for the Odyssey would be a better stereo and less road noise. I love the way it handles--truly remarkable for a minivan. I love the 3.5L VTEC motor--it has guts!

Review Date: 18th November, 2008