1999 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

A great car with a few issues

Power Sliding Door Locks by itself, driver's side only.

Transmission makes a noise when shifting from reverse to drive4.

Roof rack trim falls off (4 times).

When the Air Conditioner compressor is running there is a ticking noise present.

Auto Sliding doors would not close.

General Comments:

Vehicle is still nice to drive. It has less than 20k miles on to date.

The creature comfort I don't like is the driver's elbow, if rested on the door's arm rest, will become painful. The padding is non existent on this piece of equipment.

Review Date: 4th October, 2003

1999 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

Money pit

Blown motor at 100k ($4500).

Replaced radiator.

Has been in the shop 3 times because the electric doors stop working ($200+).

Transmission is slipping and needs replacement.

Brakes squeal even when not stepping on the brake, even after replacement ($130).

Tie rods replaced ($250).

Welding broke on the underneith side of the driver's seat.

Catalytic coverter replaced ($800).

Tires wear on outside, even after balance and rotation.

Check engine light comes on frequently.

Back door rattles even after having it aligned.

Battery died and exploded when the roadside tech tried to jump start it.

General Comments:

Has been nothing but trouble, has been in the shop more than it's been on the road.

Review Date: 24th September, 2003

1999 Honda Odyssey LX 3.5L. V6 from North America

Summary:

An excellent minivan

The catalytic converter failed at 82,000 miles. The reason I knew it failed was because the "check engine" light went on and the dealer told me that was the problem. The warranty ran out at 80,000 miles. I purchased the extended warranty, but that item was not covered. I guess I'm a bit suspicious about the timing... Other than that problem the minivan has been a very good vehicle. The discomfort factor is getting to me. We spend many hours in the van and the seats are very uncomfortable for long distance.

General Comments:

I would buy another Odyssey, but I hope they have developed more comfortable seats. After driving a Suburban for 13 years, I appreciate the savings in gas over the long haul.

Review Date: 27th June, 2003

22nd Aug 2003, 15:07

I have a 2000 Odyssey loaded up with navigation system and all the options. The van is generally OK on the road, but we have had to have the sliding doors in for service several times (all day affair), and the sound system is mediocre at best.

Just learned that we have the same catalytic converter failure (89,000 miles), and the dealer gave us the same story despite our 100,000 mile extended warranty -- Honda only covers until 80,000 miles. Actually, the extended warranty (which I read in detail only when this problem occurred), seems to exclude the catalytic converter and the exhaust system entirely. Not sure where the 80,000 mile number comes from.

Overall, we would not buy this van again, because of the sliding doors (which have opened with our kids in the back and the van in motion).

1999 Honda Odyssey from North America

Summary:

Safety problems

I too was sold on having the "Honda quality factor". I needed a Minivan and always wanted a Honda, perfect!

Being in the sound business, hauling equipment, I was sold on the magic seat. I looked on the Internet for info and I was sold. When I went to the dealer to ask about it, they laughed at me thinking I could get one. Then I got a call the next morning to come down, they had two. There were actual fist fights from other people the other dealers their called. I guess I wasn't supposed to be called. Anyway, after staking my spot all day, I got one. After paying "above" sticker with all the extras they could put on it, for the privilege. Now the fun part.

THE @%$#&*^ SLIDING DOORS!!! Nothing but trouble. I can't even count how many times I've had them "fixed"! They even had the nerve to tell me I might have to pay for the repairs and I told them that would not be happening! Last time, about two months ago and a couple of days later, they still don't work right. On top of it, they broke the boot around the steering column - I think the government should get in on this one. For a car that cost me this much, this is unacceptable. Also the stereo has actually $3.00 speakers. I am not kidding, check it out.

The noise factor really bothers me. Between the rattles, road noise and gas tank. Who were they kidding with those speakers? To make matters worse, every time I have taken my car in for service, they break something else. Sometimes nothing to do with what they are supposed to fix! One time they blew up my stereo. When he told me I laughed thinking he was kidding. Joke on me! I agree the fit and finish of this minivan leaves much to be desired. Other than the problems, the engine is great.

General Comments:

This van has a lot of problems.

Review Date: 27th May, 2003