1999 Honda Odyssey LX 3.5 from North America
The worst car vehicle I've ever owned
Emission Control (Engine Light) non-warranty:
- Vent shut-off valve replaced
- Bypass Control valve Solenoid replaced
- 2-way valve replaced.
Transmission 2 replaced under warranty:
- 60000km - transmission replaced
- 60000km - new transmission replaced. Vehicle had not been test driven by dealership and they had not detected that the replacement was defective.
- Rear replaced at 98000 km.
- Constantly sticking doors. No effective repair.
- 2 handles broken as a result. (One under warranty one not)
Gas Gage: replaced under warranty.
Power Window: Regulator replaced under warranty.
- Poor internal ergonomics. Armrests too low, Mirror adjustments not readily visible, seats less comfortable than my '93 civic.
- Have spent more on maintenance than my '93 civic.
- Least reliable an most ecpensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever had.
- No automatic shutoff of internal lights resulting in many dead batteries.
- Intermittent engine light problems do not automatically clear. One has to go to dealer and pay $50 to have it reset.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 16th December, 2003
17th Dec 2003, 09:24
Your comparison with your '93 Civic is not apt. The '99 Odyssey was actually built by Isuzu, not Honda. An Oasis with Honda nameplate.
10th Feb 2004, 22:01
The comment following the original review is incorrect. The 1999 Odyssey is made and designed by Honda and made in Ontario Canada in a Honda factory. Warts, transmission problems, sticking doors, plugged EGR valves, road noise, short warranty, high prices and all, the 1999 Odyssey is a real Honda.