1999 Honda Odyssey from North America

Summary:

I never thought I would own a van, but I can't imagine raised my boys with out it

Ignition switch at 145,000 needed replaced. Driver sliding door quit at 146,000.

General Comments:

My wife repeatedly says, "I love my van."

Review Date: 11th June, 2007

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Odyssey does not live up to Honda's general reputation in quality

I have been a Honda Loyalist ever since I started driving. My first car was a Honda and 4 out of 5 cars I have owned since 1985 have been Honda's, Prelude, Civic, Accord and finally the Odyssey which we purchased new in 1999. This car has totally changed our view of Honda quality.

Since year 2000 and till date, we have had to deal with the following issues:

1) The power sliding doors failed at least 3 times.

2) The transmission failed.

3) The rear air conditioner failed.

4) The back-lit of the central control console failed twice (replaced under warranty) but now broke again after warranty expired.

5) Most annoying problem is that the Check Engine light comes on all the time. We brought it to the dealer and they said they cannot find any thing wrong so warranty does not apply and they need to charge us $100 diagnostic fee. After going through this routine a few times, we stopped bringing it to the dealer any more and just let the light stay on.

The van was supposed to be a reliable one for my wife to hauling kids around, but my wife has complained about the rampant problems this car has exhibited. Thinking about you drive the car with the mysterious check engine light now and the central control console totally dark at night. And during the summer, kids yell it is hot at the back of the car. Simply speaking, I just can not belive the fact that Honda would release such poor quality car to the marketplace.

General Comments:

It seems that the Odyssey has obvious overall quality control issues. You either get one that may still live up to Honda’s quality reputation or you will just get a lemon. However, the probability of getting a lemon seems way to high so overall it is risky to invest buying one in my view. At least, I would not buy another Honda Odyssey and will revert to buying a Toyota Sienna for a change.

Review Date: 19th May, 2007

30th Jul 2007, 14:29

I purchased my 1999 Honda Odyssey when it had 99,000 miles on it. We have had transmission annoyances since we purchased it, but cannot seem to replay the issue when we bringit to the dealer so they wouldn't fix it.

Now it is out of warranty and it is periodically not starting or shutting down while driving. We at first thought it was missensing the dealer key, but after reading reviews it seems it may be the ERG valve.

It shutdown while on a highway and while trying to put it into neutral I accidentally hit reverse and need a whole new transmission.

However, this has been a very reliable car and is just now starting to have some issues. But hey these are computerized motors now and my Honda's computer has 142,000 miles on it.

I own a 1980 Honda Civic and I love Honda's and always will. I am just disappointed in the time it took for Honda to recognize its transmission mistakes.

1999 Honda Odyssey LX V6 from North America

Summary:

Absolute worst car I have ever owned!

-Doors malfunctoned.

-Transmission has trouble searching for gears going down hills.

-Alternator failed (so claims the dealer).

-Car dies intermittently. My local Olympia, WA dealer claimed the $800.00 alternator would fix the problem - it did not! Car died again within 3 miles (yes, 3 miles!) of the dealership so they never even test drove it after the fix. The dealer then tried to blame the car dying on the previous mechanic who did the timing belt to justify the alternator.

General Comments:

I really, really wish I had found this website before I decided to purchase this van. I bought it based on my past good experience with Hondas - 1991 crx @ 300k + miles & 3 Honda CBR's. Between the money I had to pour into the van, and the hit I took trading it in, it cost me almost $5000 over a period of 7 months. The dealer experience was even worse. Complete lack of accountability, PLUS Honda of America backed the dealer. This was a stalling problem that would cause the engine to stop at any speed. A potentially life-threatening situation that you would think they would want to get to the bottom of. I WAS ABSOLUTELY THE LAST HONDA I WILL EVER OWN!!!

Review Date: 29th August, 2006

30th Aug 2006, 20:55

Worst "car" for you, but it was the best "van" for me!!

9th Nov 2006, 11:07

Ditto on all counts for the first posting. My parents bought the same vehicle (1999 Odyssey) based on the "best buy" reporting from consumer magazines (the ones that apparently never follow-up after awarding such a distinction). When the transmission started slipping at 88,000 miles, they sold it. That's right, I forgot to mention that it was the second transmission, they both lasted about 44,000 miles. For all the "Check Engine" code readings, nearly wore-out a new code reader, always something new. "EGR" valve codes really meant pulling-off the top of the motor to remove the carbon build-up. My neighbor's Odyssey started spitting out check engine codes (also a second transmission) so I called the Honda dealer (I'm the "neighborhood mechanic"). What did the mechanic at the dealer say? "Get rid of it, I've never seen an Odyssey transmission last over 100,000 miles." As for me?...I am a proud owner of two Saturns.