1999 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

The van is good to carry people around, but it is has a serious reliability problem

The transmission went out three times. The dealer put new ones under warranty before 100,000 miles. It seems very time consuming to get new transmission put in. I don't know why Honda has so much trouble with this transmission. The engine light show up first. It will take sometime to show up as a transmission problem. Once dealer told me its the EGR problem. I'm glad I did not spend 400 dollars to repair it. After all it was a tranny problem.

General Comments:

The van is very powerful, but the gas pedal is too heavy to press. It is very uncomfortable. The radio is very badly designed and I gave up on it. The Honda service is not good with people. They must do something about this problem.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2006

1999 Honda Odyssey from North America

Good car, but has problems

Transmission completely shot at 96k miles, had it replaced new and then completely shot again at 160k miles.

General Comments:

Owned car for 6 years. Main problem was with the automatic transmission.

Review Date: 24th October, 2005

1999 Honda Odyssey EX 3.3 liter V6 from North America

A real lemon, not worthy of the good reviews it has received

The transmission failed at 63,000 miles and had to be replaced.

The EGR valve failed at 34,000 miles and was replaced under warranty.

The radiator rotted, causing the engine to overheat, at 78,000 miles.

The motor for the passenger side power door failed at 42,000 miles and required replacement.

The catalytic converter failed at 91,000 miles and had to be replaced.

The brakes require too frequent replacement, and they are generally noisy. Bad brakes seem to go with Honda!

The rear air conditioning malfunctioned, and stress on the electrical system caused the engine to die while car was being driven on a major highway.

General Comments:

Since we bought this car from the dealer in 1999, it has been nothing but trouble. The "check engine" light comes on erratically, sometimes from no discernible reason. With the failure of the rear air conditioner, the car is not comfortable to drive, and the malfunctioning electrical system renders it unsafe. Overall, this car has been a money pit, and I cannot consider it to be reliable. When I drive it now, I find myself gnashing my teeth and praying that nothing else will go wrong. As a teacher and the parent of two active teenagers, I need to be able to rely on my car. This Odyssey fails to satisfy that need.

Review Date: 26th July, 2005

26th Jul 2005, 17:04

Wow, that is unfortunate... my car is almost 3x that age yet hasn't had any of those prpblems except the A/C and it's a Pontiac! Good luck with it!

26th Jul 2005, 18:34

Actually, if you read the reviews, you would see that Odyssey's (and Honda's in general) have more than their share of reliability problems. People are just brainwashed into thinking they are to be more reliable.

1999 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

The car is okay, but Honda customer service has greatly declined

Where do I start?

Minor problems include the car "clunking" whenever we put it in reverse (a problem from day one).

The passenger sliding door sticks so badly you need a very strong adult to open it.

Our major problem was the tie rod snapped at 35,000 miles and has had to be replaced twice (we've never had an accident in this car that would cause such a problem).

The locks started automatically re-locking, which resulted in passengers getting locked inside the car.

The rear window "slips" when opened, scraping the finish on the outside.

General Comments:

When the tie rod snapped, we were treated badly by Honda. They implied it was OUR fault and our driving that must have caused the problem. I explained this was a family car and not an off-road vehicle. Honda Corporate was equally unimpressed and unsympathetic at this potentially dangerous problem.

NONE of these problems happened to be covered under warranty. This was my third Honda. I was going to be a Honda lifer. This vehicle and the way I was treated changed my mind. I will never buy another Honda.

Review Date: 10th April, 2005

14th Aug 2005, 07:22

Our 2002 Honda Odyssey tie rod snapped (also family car, only about 15,000 miles on it) driving 45 mph on Saturday morning. A police car was behind and told us he thought it was the tie rod, but didn't write it up as such officially. The Honda dealer insisted a bad tire led to the problem and nothing was covered on warranty. (The tires had already been replaced at 10,000 which Honda didn't think was a problem, but I thought was too early). Since then I don't feel comfortable driving on the highway and seethe about Honda on a regular basis.

17th Aug 2005, 15:15

You mentioned "passenger sliding door". The 1998 Odyssey does not have a sliding door, it has 4 swing doors.

Are you talking about the 1999 model?