1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 11 of 29

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I recently experienced a similar with the taillight assembly, only it was the turn signal. I had to carefully pry the contact up as the suggestions in this newsgroup related. Thanks to all for this site. I went to the dealer, who had 3 prices on the screen for the taillight assembly ($148, $117, $88). He quoted me $148--I asked what the $88 was for: he said they have to make money.

I have also experienced problems with all door locks; 3 have been replaced. About 2 motors for power windows replaced. The brake light switch has also been replaced.

Also had a very strange problem of my ignition cylinder locking (could not turn the key). It wasn't that the wheel was locked, but the ignition cylinder was locked. Had to get the car dragged from out of my garage and brought to the dealership.

Review Date: 17th October, 2005

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 inline 6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 inline 6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

The 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a let down

Interior Electrical Problems 50,000 miles.

Temperature indicator in vehicle is not working 65,000 miles.

Vehicle overheating 65,000 and 110,000 miles.

Transfer case leaking 80,000 miles.

Evaporation Canister pump 100,000 miles.

Misfire cylinder 5, 69,703 miles.

Etc.

General Comments:

When the Jeep is operational, it is a decent vehicle.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is extremely expensive to maintain.

I purchased the vehicle used from a reputable used dealer with 33,000 miles.

In four years of owning the vehicle I've spent nearly $3,000 in repairs and placed an additional 80,000 miles on the vehicle.

I owned a 1994 Honda Civic in 1996 with 12,000 miles and traded it in for a 2003 Honda accord new. When I traded in the Civic I had put an additional 120,000 miles on the car and only had to change the oil, brakes and tires.

I also owned a 1989 Jeep Cherokee that was extremely reliable and the reason that I purchased the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Review Date: 17th August, 2005

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Crap

The car was great for about the first 5,000 miles and it went down hill from there.

Trans started to slip/fixed for $1000

Breaks started to have a shim/$400

Drank gas

Full interior electrical failure/$1200

Basically everything on the vehicle is expensive!!!

General Comments:

Great looking vehicle, not worth the money.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2005

3rd Aug 2005, 20:24

OK so THREE things go wrong with the vehicle since you bought it USED and you automatically say its crap? Little biased don't you think? You bought it USED with 44,000 miles on it, and then pretty much doubled that ammount in your ownership of it. Ever stop to think that the previous owner didn't keep up on the basic maintenance of it?

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 from North America

Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

For two years I searched for the perfect vehicle. Watching, waiting, wishing for my jeep to arrive..

I have put absolutely no money into fixing this car.

Although i do need a piston to hold up the front hood, but my jeep is so reliable its not like i have to pop the hood for anything else besides an oil change!!

So far i have managed to take my clean driving record and rack up six points for speeding. But what can I say... Jeeps are made with power!!! I've learned my lesson. If you own one you must keep your eyes on the speedmeter just as much as you do on the road!!!!

General Comments:

I have worked at a used car lot for the past two years. I absolutely hated my 4 banger Saturn, but i was bound and determined to wait for a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, no matter how long it took. The long year and a half wait was well worth it. When that day had finally arrived, I was speechless. I still dont understand why the person traded it in. It drives very comfotably and has absolutely no problems. Except the back brakes Squeak when i take it out of park, but thats normal wear and tear on any vehicle.

My jeep has a lot of power, especially considering it is only a six cylinder.

The interior has plenty of space. As for the looks of the exterior... absolutely gorgeous. As i drive down the road, every other driver is constantly turning their heads. I do recall turning my head at every 99-04 Grand Cherokee as well. I LOVE MY JEEP!!!! And as for the Gas mileage, anywhere between 18-20 miles per gallon each fill up! I was quite surprised and impressed!!!

Review Date: 22nd June, 2005

23rd Jun 2005, 13:58

The only 6 cylinder engine available in the Grand Cherokees untill the 2005 production year is the old reliable 4.0L I-6. Chrysler is doing away with the 4.0 and using the new Liberty 3.7 V6 as their new main 6 cylinder. Today, the only Jeep you can get the 4.0 in is a Wrangler, and shortly they will be putting the 3.7 in those as well.