1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 7 of 29

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

A piece of crap, junk it

Transfer case Replaced 50,000 miles.

Stitching on passenger seat came apart and no one ever sits there.

Plastic Pieces are breaking all the time.

Interior Lights will not turn off so I had to remove bulbs as no one can figure it out.

Sucks Gas.

General Comments:

I will never, but a domestic automobile again. This has been the worst car I have ever had in my life I wrote Chrysler a letter and they wrote back to tell me too bad live with it.

Review Date: 24th August, 2007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic

Summary:

Jeep really sucks!

Blower motor won't come on. AC lights up as well as recirc, but no blower. I replaced the Automatic Temperature zone control unit. Checked all fuses tested blower motor. I can't locate the problem. Anyone have any ideas??? Help I am going Nucking futs.

General Comments:

Jeep sucks!

Review Date: 22nd August, 2007

25th Aug 2007, 14:45

Dude, if it's beyond your skills take it to the stupid dealer and let them fix it.

29th Aug 2007, 09:16

I love the recommendation to take it to your stupid dealer. :)

Because that's exactly what they are. All they know how to do is replace items, one at a time, and see if it fixes the problem. They charge you for each item even if they weren't the problem as well as the labor involved in replacing the wrong parts. Then when the problem goes away for two weeks, but returns, none of the previous work matters as far as warranty work goes because they'll find another reason for why it failed again and recharge you for the new parts and labor. Great Racket!

My blower motor on my 2000 Grand... LTD became intermittent, then failed. They fixed a bad connector (melted?) problem went away for a month or two. Next the unit started running at full blast when the car was parked with the key out of the ignition. Drained my battery dead twice before I proved it was the blower motor causing the drain. Dealer replaced the resistor module and melted connector cable again. New charges (surprise) After 6 months the problem returned. A call to the dealer made me realize that they were soooo... stupid! I bought a 20 amp power switch and spliced into the red power wire feeding the blower motor. Now I just disable the blower motor by opening the switch when I leave the vehicle. :)

All the rest of the heater/AC controls work fine when the key is in the ignition. Problem solved.

Rich in NH.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

NOT GOOD

The Ignition Cylinder is an ongoing problem with the design. There is NOT a RECALL, Nor is there a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) available at NHTSA. The ONLY wasy to get a recall is enough of us have to complain to NHTSA.

I was able to take out the ignition cylinder, and have the wafers inside rebuilt once for a couple of bucks, but that requires your being able toi turn the key into the on position to get the cylinder out. This week it was just dead though. Using graphite won't help, soaking it won't help, hitting it with a mallet may help, but not if it is shot to hell. It has to be replaced at some point. Problem is the replacements are made buy the same company that made the originals! Can't wait to see what is in store with this one.

DO NOT GO TO YOUR stealership!!! Your local locksmith can do it for half the price, and you will not need a tow.

Now, we all need to tell NHTSA that this is a safety issue.

Review Date: 21st July, 2007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Great Vehicle that's comfortable, strong and keeps ticking

Transfer Case at 150000 miles $500; ignition had to be fixed $60.00; 2 window motors $300; fuel injectors cleaned, A/C fixed $150.00; new rear tail-lights 69.00 on ebay, and a new drivers mirror $50.00 ebay. A few little things here and there. These vehicles need to be kept up - you can't beat the 4.0L six - its not fast but very strong, dependable and gets good gas mileage.

General Comments:

I have owned Jeeps since 1991 and have had great service from them. They aren't perfect, but when it snows you will be glad you have a JEEP.

This 1999 GC Limited has been fantastic. Its very dependable and gets 19.5 miles to the gallon. I still love driving it with 160000+ miles on it. I also feel pretty safe in this Jeep. The doors are heavy and you can feel the integrity in the Jeep. I tow my 21 foot ski boat without a miss. Regular gas is nice and the seats are still comfortable after 160000 miles.

Review Date: 26th June, 2007