1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 8 of 29

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 litre V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.7 litre V8 Automatic
Previous carToyota 4x4

Summary:

The Jeep Grand Cherokee would be my vehicle of choice if I was more confident in its future

Air conditioner leaks from just under the radiator. More than what I think is normal.

Tansmission jerks when placed into Drive for the first time (usually after warming up for 10 minutes)

General Comments:

The Grand Cherokee is loaded with comfort. I love taking it up to Denver from Albuquerque on production shoots.

Vehicle has lots of power, but sucks down the gas.

The airbag light chimes occasionally which is very annoying.

Review Date: 11th June, 2007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0 inline six cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 inline six cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Best 4x4 SUV for the money

Had to replace battery after two years. Replaced water-pump after 50k miles.

General Comments:

I purchased my 1999 Grand Cherokee back in 2000 from the original owner with 30k miles on it. It is 4.0 in line 6 cylinder 4x4.

Since then I have driven it 135k miles, having only to replace one water pump and one battery.

This Jeep has never been back to the dealer, since I do all my own maintenance work, just to make sure it is done right.

One upgrade was installing a transmission cooler. I regular tow ATV’s down to Mexico during the winter, and back up to Big Bear mountains on weekends during the summer. I make sure the oil & filter is changed every 3k. Complete transmission flush every 25K, including changing transfer case and differential gear lubes. Radiator gets flushed every two years. Brake fluid every two years.

I use carbon fiber brake pads that last 60K.

I am on my third set of tires (BF Goodrich).

Since this is my only mode of transportation, I have been driving this 70 miles per day back & forth to work 5 days per week.

This is my 3rd Cherokee Jeep with the 4.0 line six cylinder. I average 19 mile per gallon in the city with some freeway driving.

I have had a rear drive line whine since I have owned this car. But I have checked the rear end wheel bearings, ring and pinion gears. They were in good shape, so I just attribute this rear drive line whine as normal for this car.

It is a great car, and I was totally surprised when I had read all these complaints from other Jeep Cherokee owners.

Review Date: 1st June, 2007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Inline 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission Inline 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Overly satisfied, would recommend, and buy again

The driver's door window functions have ceased. There was a time when the window worked after a brief pause, but now the window doesn't budge. This might be a little more involved than trying to tear things apart myself.

Brake lights went out just recently. However, fixing them was quite easy, especially after reviewing this site. Getting the tail light assembly off is two screws only, and the light bulbs are set into sockets, which are easily removed. WalMart had the right replacement bulbs. After tweaking the ground contacts, the lights came on... but before I had success, the fuse blew (the middle light above the tailgate went out which was the clue). The blue fuse (15) was the very first fuse along the bottom row on the left... easily replaced, and lights worked just fine thereafter.

Always having to adjust rear door seals. I plan on getting some decent glue or epoxy to set them in place.

General Comments:

Overall, satisfied with the vehicle. It was purchased last year (March) from CarMax in Irvine, CA, with about 50000 miles. We (family of four) immediately took off to North Carolina in it. Two weeks and 5000+ miles later, the car performed without a single hitch. There was a rock tossed up from a passing truck into the windshield, but CarMax were already going to (and did) replace the windshield due to an existing crack.

It's been a year now, and we have added another 50,000 miles to the vehicle. The only complaint other than brake lights and window would be the mileage... it likes its gasoline. CA to NC and back we averaged 19 miles to the gallon, just before the prices skyrocketed last year. I would like better mileage, especially in city driving, but it amounts to habits and where we go.

Review Date: 28th May, 2007