1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 9 of 29

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Most recent distance102000 miles
Previous carJeep 1997 dodge caravan

Summary:

Looks nice, but spends most of the time in the shop

New engine @ 50000 miles; 3500.00 dollars.

It was pulling to the right, so got an alignment, tie rod and axels broke, 900.00 dollars.

Driving to work, I stopped at a light, went to step on the gas, and the car would not move (transmission). Grand total??? I don't know as the car is still in the shop!!! just got it back sensor in transmission went bad also had to replace fan motor for radiator 600.00 dollars!!!!

(forgot to mention all the electrical problems.$$$$$$$$)

Never again!!!

General Comments:

Money pit!

Review Date: 14th March, 2007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7Ltr V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1999
Engine and transmission 4.7Ltr V8 Automatic

Summary:

Jeeps balls with a Mercedes comfort

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

This car is amazing.

When you step into this car you feel like your getting into a high priced BMW or MERCEDES. I got the limited package with ALL the extras for a nice ride. I would buy another Jeep in a heartbeat, but I wish the newer design was more like this year.

Review Date: 10th October, 2006

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 6 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Very reliable if maintained properly and fun to drive in 4WD!

Most gaskets (valve cover, transmission, differentials, transfer cases) leaking since 30,000 miles or so.

Passenger window regulator at 34,000 miles (warranty)

Water pump at 70,000 miles.

Alternator at 90,000 miles ($240)

Headlights plastic yellowing ($95)

Front wheel bearings at 130,000 ($280 each)

Transmission fluid cooling line at 135,000 ($200)

General Comments:

I would definitely buy another Grand Cherokee if I were in the market for one!

I bought the truck new in '99 and even with all the things I've listed that I had to repair/replace, it's still a very reliable and capable vehicle. I consider most of those things items that need replacing eventually anyway and it's still going strong at 135,000 miles.

The gas mileage seems to be getting worse though. I'll see if the bearings were causing drag and had anything to do with that.

I've hauled people up and down the highway comfortably. I've also loaded it up with all kinds of junk (furniture/clothing, pinestraw, lawnmowers, etc) and it's done those jobs well, too.

Then, when I want to have some fun, I kick it into 4WD and thrash it through mud, rocks, sand, etc. and I've never been stuck.

Review Date: 25th August, 2006

22nd Dec 2006, 14:00

Oh, I totally agree. My 1998 Laredo fully loaded with leather and 4x4 is fun. The luxury makes it nice just to drive, but the 4x4 is great. During the snowstorm the Midwest just had, I drove home on the highway through the snow and ice at 45mph. I had complete control of the vehicle and I was flying past other people like a bat out of, well, you know. It was fun to listen while people told each other of their stories of how it took them 2 hours to get home. I just said "Yeah, I was a little late. It took me 45 minutes to get home instead of 30." Oh the looks the people give you.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

Too many minor design and manufacturing defects with now help from Daimler Chrysler

Recurring tail light problems.

Recurring door lock actuator problems.

Recurring brake rotor problems.

General Comments:

It's a great driving car, but you should know that you will need to replace tail light sockets, brake rotors, and door lock actuators every few years.

Review Date: 14th June, 2006

10th Nov 2006, 15:33

My 2000 Jeep Grd Cherokee LTD 4WD 4.0 Automatic has also been affected by the door actuator problem. In four years I have had 3 Door actuators go bad. I just learned from GECOM (The actuator maker) that it was not the actuator, but a Thermal Chip that was removed for cost cutting with causes the actuators to overheat and go bad. Jeep should make good by at least replacing the chip and giving the replacement actuators free. I can't believe that as of last year they have not taken responsibility for this on their top of the line Jeep. I will be seeing the dealer again soon. I'll let you know the outcome.