1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 6 of 29

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited V8 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

It's a Jeep thing... but an expensive Jeep thing

Heater and AC unit went out at 64000, mechanic said problem was so common in this year of Jeep they made a repair kit for it.

Seat warmers went out at about the same time.

Leather seats in general wearing out.

Makes funny grinding sound on turns.

Now leaking antifreeze from who knows where at 94600 miles, have to fill it about twice a week.

CD player randomly gives error, tape player likes to spit out the tape, button that is suppose to change the cd changes the song.

Hood struts and hatch struts both worn.

Check gages light randomly comes on.

General Comments:

My first car was a 94 grand Cherokee, I loved that car and wish I never got rid of it, never gave me any problems, LOVED that car, this was the car the started my love for jeeps.

My 99 is a nice car, it has all the fancy stuff, beautiful inside and out, comfortable, powerful, great for off roading and bad weather, but this particular year seems to have a lot of mechanical problems, the luxury stuff its nice, but getting Jeep parts seems to be hard to find and expensive, the value doesn't seem to keep well either, I've only owned it 1 year and 1/2 and I owe almost twice what its worth. If your love for jeeps is enough to go through all the repair costs it's a great car, but it's a little much for a young student, and unfortunately I plan on replacing it with a Civic.

Review Date: 10th January, 2008

8th Jun 2009, 10:15

I actually own a 99 jeep limited and a 1997 honda civic. I have had the jeep in the shop about 12 times since I bought it in 2002 for various jeep problems. I bought the civic new and it has only been to the mechanic for an exhaust system and brakes and it has around 200,000 miles. Good decision to go with the Honda.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 6 Automatic

Summary:

Nice

Well this is my first jeep and I've put roughly 6,000 miles on it. I read a few of the other reviews and noticed some similarites. First, my headlights are also crusted up on the inside. But the real problem I care about is when I try to start it, it takes a solid 5-8 seconds to fire up. After that she runs just fine. Anyone know why this happens and if it's a tell tale sign of trouble to come?

Review Date: 27th December, 2007

25th Feb 2013, 22:41

Just turn the power on for about 5 seconds, then it will start right up.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 from North America

Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

This SUV is costly, but reliable

I have had problems with the transmission (85000), drivers side tail light (87000) and the rear A frame (71000).

General Comments:

My transmission started slipping around 85000 miles and turned out to be the tranny pump (power train warranty). Next the tail lights failed on a gradual scale and turns out all grounds as well as power were there. Finally I found out that the ground was insufficient (repair ground connection in the light socket) for the parking lights and the brake lights to illuminate at the same time. My rear A frame wore out and was causing a clunking noise easy fix was to replace the A frame (easy).

Review Date: 17th December, 2007

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V* from North America

Engine and transmission V* Don't Know
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carChrysler Sebring Convertible

There is a whining noise from engine accelerating increasing with speed. Mechanics cannot figure out why. Other than that we have not had problems with jeep.

Review Date: 19th September, 2007

21st Sep 2007, 08:15

Does it do this above 3000 RPM?

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I6 from North America