1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 from North America

Summary:

The most European US design

Warp rotors.

Steering damper.

Alternator at 200000Km.

General Comments:

Warp rotor issue solved with 2001 caliper upgrade (279$). I assumed the 99 issues were the reward behind a rugged rattle free structure that simply lasts forever.

Not the best SUV, but certainly the most fun to drive. No other archaic suspension design offers that level of control over most conditions.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2008

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V6 from North America

Summary:

I used to love it, but now it's starting to suck

Replaced radiator.

Replaced thermostat.

Replaced front and back brakes and rotor.

Got an alignment (didn't help).

Front passenger window regulator.

Ball joints.

Coolant relay module needs to be replaced.

General Comments:

This car is really taking a lot of time and money away.

Now that I see that there are a lot of other people having the same problem, I really think the manufacturer of Jeep needs to do a recall or refund us for the work that all of us had to get.

This is crazy.

Review Date: 28th July, 2008

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Expensive and sucks!

I can't even begin to describe everything that has been wrong with this car. The day I drove it off the lot, the AC started blowing warm, and have had freon added, coolant lines patched, etc, and still isn't reliable, and two of the vents blow warm air. I've (in the past year) spent close to $3000 replacing and fixing everything that keeps coming up with this car, including:

-new battery

-replaced the battery cable

-new starter

-patched severals holes in the AC coolant line

-refilled freon three different times thinking the problem is solved (which it is not)

-four new tires

-all four rotors and brake pads replaced once a year ago and just last month the front brake pads replaced again

-passenger side power window motor replaced once

-replaced the serpentine belt

-replaced the output speed sensor

-air filter twice

-regular oil changes

And I'm more than certain I'm forgetting something. I grow up in a Jeep family, always loved them, but this will be the LAST Jeep I buy because it is sitting at a friend's house right now because it won't fire, so either I have to replace spark plugs, a fuel pump, or who knows.

General Comments:

Extremely disappointed.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2008

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V6 from North America

Summary:

Problem after problem, regret buying

The entire cooling system had to be replaced.

The rotors needed to be replace.

General Comments:

This car was comfortable and looked nice, but unless you plan on keeping it in the driveway to sit in it occasionally, it's useless.

I spent about 1700 in two months on this SUV, and it still had problems. I will never buy another Jeep again.

Review Date: 14th June, 2008

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 from North America

Summary:

Looks great, drives great, costs too much to maintain

I have an AC in my '99 Grand Cherokee Ltd with a will of its own too. And things seem to be getting worse since they started about a year or so. Here are the symptoms (in order of appearance in my little) :

- Sometimes when I start the car and turn on the AC to cool the air, hot air gets blown out of the window defogger or the leg vents.

- When the car has been parked outside (airport parking) for a few days and I turn it on and turn on the heater, only cold air comes out.

- If park the car for a short while (< 10 min) after having driven it for 20-30 min with the AC on, the AC does not cool the air, but the heater kicks in and starts heating

- The newest one to appear: when I turn on the AC the driver's side gets cooled, but the passenger's side gets hot air (like really heated air at 80 degrees)

I guess it's time to replace the car and get a Japanese one (again). I never had any issues with my Toyota before.

I've also had all the other things go out: warped rotors, blown out Infinity speakers in the dash...

I really think Jeep lost its quality label.

Cheers,

Peter.

General Comments:

See above.

Review Date: 11th April, 2008