2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 7 of 12

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from North America

Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

Good looks, but a headache

Bad noisy brakes.

Bad axle.

Wind noise.

Check engine light on/off/on...

Gas mileage (11 MPG!).

General Comments:

I have a 2002 JDC Laredo with 57k on it.

The squeaking brake noise is driving me crazy. 7+ visit to the dealer, changed axles, machined rotors, still the same; the faster I drive, the louder the noise gets! And the insulation on this car is POOR! I have to turn the stereo way up not to be annoyed by the wind noise (and brake noise!).

On top of everything else, the gas mileage is 11 miles/gallon (and no I don't have a V8, it's a small engine 6 cylinder).

The bottom line: JGC has nothing but good looks, and it's not worth the headache...

Review Date: 16th July, 2006

12th Jan 2009, 19:00

You were only getting 11 MPG on a V6?! Sounds like you did a lot of city driving. That truck should get between 18-20 MPG. Look it up on fueleconomy.org. Also sounds like a fuel filter issue or some kind of fuel problem. You should get that looked at.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 from North America

Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

Awesome

I have a very loud pop sound in the steering wheel. The mirrors do not go back to where they should for the drivers.

General Comments:

I love the Jeeps. This is my second one yeah they have their problems, but so what. The previous owner put on the upgraded breaks so far no warping.

Review Date: 19th June, 2006

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 8 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 8 cylinder Automatic
Previous carAudi 90

Summary:

Comfortable car, but has serious brake issues

We have had the brakes replaced twice since owning the car and they need to be replaced again at 46000 miles. The car starts shaking when braking, especially at high speeds, and this gets worse until it is unbearable. I find the brakes to be a huge defect and Chrysler should be forced to do a recall. We had to fight tooth and nail to get the dealer to replace the brakes the first time at no charge, but had to pay the second time. We have the 100,000 mile extended warranty, but they don't cover the brakes in this.

The transmission had to be overhauled before the car hit 30,000 miles, but thankfully was covered by warranty. When it happened, the car went dead and had to be towed.

General Comments:

This car is incredibly comfortable and roomy and has great features.

The Limited is worth the extra money.

However, due to the severe brake issues I would not purchase from this manufacturer again.

Review Date: 20th March, 2006

31st Oct 2009, 15:02

The factory brake discs are junk. Replace them with a good aftermarket disc and the best pads you can buy. That will fix the problem. There was a court suit that addressed this issue, and if you filed with the court, you got back about what it costs for the first time around repairs. Not sure if this might still be available.

24th Sep 2010, 13:10

Agreed, re brake rotor issues, but I solved the common problem with new aftermarket rotors and pads.

Even if they were not an issue, I probably would have replaced them anyway like I have on most of my cars with better performance ones such as slotted rotors - NOT cross drilled though! (much better for heavy loads, brake fade and offroad)

ZERO problems.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo inline 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission inline 6 cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired62000 miles
Previous carMercury Mountaineer

Summary:

A bunch of minor positives, a few major negatives. If it is a Jeep thing, I only kinda get it.

Nothing yet!

General Comments:

Looks great!

No rattles and squeaks like a body on frame SUV. (My last SUV rattled so much I always feared that I sounded like the Munchkins when I was on the cell phone.)

Not as fun to drive as my Mountaineer. The 6 cylinder is pretty slow and does not like to rev very high. The transmission changes gears harshly under acceleration. This may well be the safest SUV ever made. Since I have had it, I drive slower and stop when the light changes to yellow (Flooring it just makes more noise, not speed!)

You don't really steer this vehicle as much as you just "Guide" it where you want it to go.

Lower step in height than most SUV's.

The interior has a much more car-like feel. After 2 other SUV's, it is nice to not feel like I am driving a pick up truck station wagon.

Review Date: 5th January, 2006

6th Jan 2006, 04:23

You say in your title there are some major negatives with your Jeep. Yet, in the body of your review you don't list them. In fact, you say nothing has gone wrong with the vehicle, and that it feels very safe. You are contradicting yourself! Which is it? Major negatives or just glowing positives?