2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 V8 from North America

I'm going to continue driving this 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee into the ground

Heater core: where the hose attaches was starting to seep coolant.

Fuel Pump: Was making a squeaking noise whilst operating. When ignition turned on, the priming was becoming nosier gradually. Affects highway performance too.

General Comments:

This is the sports car of SUVs.

The 4.7 V8 mated with the 5 spd automatic transmission (added mid year manufacture) is great for performance and fuel economy where 28 mpg highway is attainable. I'm averaging 21 mixed driving! Plenty of power for passing and towing. Luckily mine was not towed with, thus allowing for more reliable drive train.

Nice and tight turning radius making it very maneuverable in a parking lot.

Transfer case allows you to choose between 2WD, 4HI, 4FULLTIME NEUTRAL 4LOW.

Interior is spacious for mid size SUV.

The ride is bouncy and unsettled on uneven roads.

Prices for parts and repair can be very expensive!

Review Date: 1st July, 2009

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.0L from North America

Poor quality

Transmission just started slipping and the service engine light is on.

Wipers won't return down.

Heated seats stopped working.

Handling is terrible, bounces side to side with every bump.

Coolant leak.

Quadra Trac 4X4 system sucks.

By the time the front axle kicks in, the rear is already fishtailing on slick roads.

General Comments:

I really like the way the Jeep looks, but I just wish the quality was better.

So far no brake problems. I try to take good care of it and still it has many problems.

Review Date: 18th January, 2009

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 from North America

Enjoy the best of Jeep, but be prepared for repairs

From the second year of ownership to 2007, it had brake issues/replacements at least 2 times a year. When the warranty was done I purchased after market and have not had a issue.

Within the last 12 months and at 63k miles I have had these issues:

Cooling issues - leaks, replaced the radiator cap twice

Replaced power steering pump

Replaced rear output seal

Replace heater core and blend air door.

General Comments:

This is my second Grand Cherokee Laredo with the v8. When I traded in the 99 for the 02, I noticed a few differences but nothing jumped out. The stock tires didn’t grip as good and they removed some of the abilities in the leather power, heated seats. All was good for a few years, then it started with the brakes.

In 2006, I finally gave up and went after market and haven’t had an issue since.

I rarely go off road with this one, but do tow the bikes and a friend’s boat now and then. The power is solid and I feel safe in the ice/snow and heavy rains. As a “commuter” rig, it’s comfortable for me and the kids. But I’m getting frustrated with the repairs… It’s a love/ hate thing….

Review Date: 30th December, 2008

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee from North America

Tail brake light was not working driver side with the headlight on.

General Comments:

2002 Grand Cherokee Special Edition, read the same problem with the rear tail brake light off on the driver's side when pressing the brake with the lights on, in other words, when evening driving. During the day the brake lights worked fine. (I had a same feeling with the previous gentleman posted if police man chasing me while evening driving.)

Thank so much this site, got the idea to try fix tail brake light. Stopped at Chrysler Service this morning, picked up the socket (Mopar part 1-04676589), replaced it (cost me $10.??, NY) Tail brake light is working OK now with headlights on. Of course OK with headlights off.

One thing to add, I did not pry up the metal part at all. Simply replaced it.

Thank Jesus, Merry Christmas everybody!

Review Date: 19th December, 2008

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Inline 6 from North America

I like the car

In 2002 I purchased a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with an in line 6 engine. Now at 56,800 miles my front right brake is locking up to the point where you see smoke coming out of the rim.

Everything in the brakes is original from factory, except for the pads, which have been replaced twice. Can anyone please advise how to fix this problem..

General Comments:

Other problems that I have had with the car:

I have had some issues with the transmission.

All the power windows broke down except for one.

Review Date: 4th July, 2008