2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO from North America

Summary:

This Jeep is a beast!

General wear and tear items.

Radiator at 155,000km ($400 parts and labour).

Tie rods replaced.

Front drive shaft (double Cardan joint - $100 from a wrecker's yard).

Stabilizer links replaced.

Driver's heated seat doesn't light up or work.

Window regulators on front windows replaced.

Dash tweeters blow, replace them with Mopar parts... blow again. Aftermarket speakers doing great now.

Not much to be honest.

General Comments:

I love this truck!

I drive it HARD around construction sites, so most my repairs are likely from the extra abuse, especially at this age. The solid axles are phenomenal when you really start to put it in awkward spots; the articulation is impressive.

It's a beast in snow!

I really can't complain, the seats are more comfortable than what I have in my living room!

The Overland has some really nice equipment, and I love its wood/leather steering wheel, auto lights and wipers. And the high output motor makes it quite fast and it likes to screech the rear tires.

Never let me down!

Cheers to more good drives.

Review Date: 3rd October, 2013

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 liter from North America

Summary:

It should never have been put up for resale

The ABS brakes went twice. Couldn't drive the Jeep because the ABS brakes locked up; this happened twice. Had to have the whole system replaced on the passenger's side front.

The flexplate in the transmission went; had to get a new one put in.

The computer went that controlled the instrument panel. Had to have it replaced.

The transmission fluid is foamy.

It get about 25 miles to a gallon on the highway and 20 around town.

It bounces around on rough roads; does not seem to be stable.

And I am afraid to take it on long trips.

I plan to sell it and get another vehicle.

I really like the style of the vehicle, but if you don't feel safe in a vehicle and it sits in your yard most of the time, or at the point of purchase the rest of the time, there is no sense in keeping the vehicle.

General Comments:

The interior is like new, and the seats are comfortable.

Review Date: 21st June, 2013

22nd Jun 2013, 19:32

For the transmission fluid, please do not drive it while it's like that! It could be from overfilled transmission fluid, or worse, your radiator may be leaking coolant into your transmission fluid via the cooler, which requires replacement of the radiator.

28th Jun 2013, 17:33

I wouldn't really worry about the tranny. I think it's just kind of wear and tear. Probably needs a flush or something. Depending on the weather, it could build up some foam. I used to live somewhere that was like that. I just added a touch of brake fluid into the tranny fluid and that helped. To really fully enjoy these trucks, you gotta take em off road. Try that, then tell me you don't like it.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

Strong and smooth, with an appetite for gasoline

Throttle position sensor failed at 106,000 miles.

Starter failed at 108,000 miles.

Rock rails rusting out, since I've owned it.

Front speakers blew at 105,000 miles.

Hood struts failed at 103,000 miles.

Battery terminal corroded, causing trouble running at 108,000 miles.

Paint chipping and some rusting on the under body at 100,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is like driving around on your couch; it's comfortable and very smooth.

Great for long family trips or highway trips.

Interior controls are well placed and very useful; silly things like adjustable pedals come in very useful.

Cabin sound is low, so you can actually drive without the radio, and share a good conversation.

Style is nice; it looks good and has nice design inside.

Review Date: 24th September, 2012

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 from North America

Summary:

Considering the number of kms put on the vehicle, the car performs excellently

The most common problem we have experienced with this vehicle is vibration in the brakes. We have tried just about everything to solve the problem; even the best brakes seem to warp.

The driver's side head light connection had to be replaced.

The exhaust manifold had a bolt shear off.

The air conditioning system developed a leak.

The rear wind shield wiper arm has lost the cover at the pivot center.

General Comments:

This car has a great deal of electrical equipment; all of these devices function well.

The sound system is wonderful (best I've had).

We live at a lake, and the 4 X 4 system works well at towing even our 4000 lb. boat out of the water where there is no ramp.

In the snow we feel perfectly at ease; it handles deep and slippery conditions well.

Our fuel consumption averages 24 miles per gal. on the highway.

Rough road conditions reflect a bouncy, firm ride inside the car, which is expected for such a vehicle.

The car is a dream to drive for long distances.

Review Date: 29th November, 2010