2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2.7 CRD (turbo diesel by Mercedes) from Bulgaria
Great performance, great value when used, but an engineering/mechanical degree is a must!
1) All A/C actuators/valves failed - repair is near impossible as the dash needs to be removed so hacking is inevitable here (cutting holes in A/C ducts and joining hot/cold air doors together etc).
2) Starter fails to engage on 1 out of 10 starts - repaired but still fails, live with it (Chrysler should have used a Bosch starter, not go cheap with one of theirs).
3) Read axle oil leak (diff oil) - replaced.
4) Extreme noise from both front drive shaft CV joints - replaced.
5) Heated seats don't work - live with it.
6) Diesel injectors (Bosch) replaced - have to drop the entire engine and gearbox down, so hacking (cutting a hole in the body near the wipers) is inevitable.
7) Poor corrosion protection.
8) Power steering hoses leak - replaced (hydraulic engine fan using steering pump... come on Chrysler who does that???)
9) Heating fluid circulation pump driven by the belt fails - live without it.
10) A/C cooling agent leaks and needs refill every 3 months - leak cannot be found, so refill every June and hope to last till the end of hot days.
11) Engine glow plugs short and solder themselves to the head - replacing is impossible as you need to take the head down... so I live with 4 good out of 5 now.
12) Engaging low gears is impossible with a running engine (have to stop, switch and start engine).
13) Remote locks control hardly works from a meter of distance and the alarm will not sound when armed and the door gets opened.
14) Alternator pulley fails to rotate free in the opposite direction and a squeak is heard whenever you stop the engine - needs replacing.
15) Power windows and locks failed - bad contact at the door hinge connector.
ALL that is just for 1 year of having this Jeep and 13,000km.
Pretty much everything Jeep/Chrysler in this car will fail around 10 years of age or sooner. The Mercedes engine will hold longer, but injectors need replacing and this is EXPENSIVE. Cars come to Bulgaria to die and this Jeep came in young at about 10 years of age from Italy. I don't think it will live long.
Still it's great off the road, spacious, good looking and good value, but you have to be a professional or amateur mechanic to keep it going after the warranty :)
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 9th September, 2015