2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2.7 CRD turbo diesel from South Africa

A good looking car with excellent off-road performance

Coolant level needs to be above max, or the warning light comes on.

Rear differential oil seal leak at 50K.

Rear electric windows faulty in 2nd year, replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

Great car, superb off-road capability, excellent engine if you develop turbo-diesel driving technique.

Economical 11 Litres / 100 km average.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2008

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.7L from North America

Having the same problem with the seat as many others. The metal in the power adjusted seat track has sheared and is separating from the base. Listed a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) yesterday. I would encourage everyone who is experiencing this problem to report it as well. Hopefully they will issue a recall and repair the defect, or reimburse those of us who have paid for repairs out of pocket.

The only other issue I have had with this vehicle was the temperature control module, which controls the cabin temp. It is vacuum controlled and would not always work. Replaced the unit and everything is fine now.

I personally still like my Jeep, but am concerned that the company will not address the safety issues with the seat.

General Comments:

I like the overall handling of my Jeep. It has never left me stranded and performs great in Michigan's Snow filled Winters.

The company needs to seriously address safety concerns of owners with issues such as the seat breaking away from the base. Glad to see the recall on the brakes, but there are other issues which are not being addressed.

Review Date: 7th April, 2008

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 6 cylinder from North America

I guess it's a jeep thing?

In the last 10,000 miles;

I have had overheating problems. They replaced the thermostat, then a sensor. The sensor went again causing overheating. It ended up being a faulty radiator fan motor. Repairs were $600.

Engine wouldn't turn over one morning. No prior problem. Ended up being the crankshaft sensor. Cost to repair $300.

This Week, engine malfunction light suddenly came on, as did a rough idle. Diagnosed as electrical. Replaced coil pack, new plugs, etc. Cost to repair $494. Ten minutes later same problem. Scanned as P305, #5 cylinder. Still in shop.

I've owned the car for 15 months, and am averaging $100 a month in repairs,. I purchased this used 11k, I bought it outright. Didn't want to do payments. Looks like it has its own payment plan. Can't wait for my next repair bill.

General Comments:

It's roomy and the interior design for that is great. It's also more compact on the outside, so parking is a lot easier in tighter spaces than a lot of SUV's.

The rear seat fold down design is great, but to relower/reset the headrests, you smack you fingers on the tab.

The heat in the winter is great, but if you have it on too high, it will overheat the CD player. The CD player will actually display "HOT" and shut down.

The outer paint has held well, and the interior is quite durable. I really like the looks.

Gas mileage:even at 86k, I still get 19 highway. 14 highway/local.City driving is more like 10mpg.

This model handles really well, and in 4 wheel drive mode, especially in the northeast winters, there's not much concern regarding it's ability.

I guess my big complaint is all these sensor issues, they lead to major investigation analysis/repair time to pay for.

Review Date: 20th January, 2008

27th Aug 2008, 19:32

I loved my 2002 Grand Cherokee until several months ago when the coolant started to disappear. Took it back to the dealership where I bought it. They ran it through looking for the problem, could not find it. They stated they did not know what the problem was, they actually could not figure it out.

Took it to 3 mechanics, none of them could figure out the problem. Was told to change the radiator cap, done. No help.

I am pumping a gallon of coolant each week in. Nothing on the garage floor, no ones knows where it is disappearing to.

I was thinking about trading this jeep for another, now I am re-thinking that. Don't know if I want another Jeep if the dealership cannot figure out what a problem is and solve it!

18th Feb 2012, 13:04

Probably either a cracked head, or bad head gasket, letting coolant into the engine. It won't show up on the garage floor, because it's in your oil pan.

2000-2001 heads in the 4.0 was a big problem in cracked heads. Google "0331 head".