2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 5 of 12

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Model year2002
Engine and transmission 4.0 Don't Know

Summary:

A dinosaur

BRAKES, BRAKES, BRAKES, AND BRAKES, FOUR SETS TO GO 70,000 MILES!

The windows regulators broke.

General Comments:

This was a lot of expense and not covered by the warranty. I paid extra for the 100,000 mile warranty, and it never seemed to fix anything that went wrong.

The engine hesitated going up hills. Towards the end, just before I traded it in, the gas mileage and performance were terrible.

The real shock was the trade in value. I paid $28,000 dollars and took excellent care of the car, always parking it away from other cars so I wouldn't get dings on it, kept up on all the maintenance, it was like new, and I was offered only $7,500 from several dealers.

In the beginning I loved the Jeep, but was very disappointed in the quality overall.

Review Date: 19th July, 2007

7th Feb 2012, 06:45

I would recommend slowly moving into aftermarket parts if anything goes wrong.

Brakes; my friend was going through dealer brakes like Skittles... that's until he got good aftermarket ones that ran him about $60 extra, but since that change, braking has improved, and he has yet to replace them.

You can't always rely on what the dealers say... well you can't rely on them period, unless you know them AND trust them.

Regards,

Mat.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition V8 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired62000 miles
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

Great Family Car and Perfect for Towing

We haven't really had anything wrong with the car at all. The one thing that my wife says is wrong, but doesn't bother her since she doesn't use it is that the dirver's seat heater doesn't work on low, only on high. It is a short in the electrical that has kept it from working properly. However, that is minor and immaterial since the heater works on high and that is the only thing that my wife uses anyway.

General Comments:

Awesome! The car shifts and you can barely feel it.

The engine is powerful and I haven't had a problem towing a 5500 lb. boat up and down mountains etc.

Surprisingly decent gas mileage for a V8. We have lost maybe 3 miles to the gallon going from the V6 to the V8. I would recommend the V8 just because it has been nice to have a little more power in ther car.

I would recommend this car to anyone and wouldn't be worried about all of the bad things that happened from other reviews on this website. We bought a warranty just in case something did happen, however, we haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I think the biggest problem is that some people take their cars to dealerships and they don't do the best job possible. I would recommend taking it to a specialist in town that is not associated with a dealership. That is when you get things fixed and fixed right because these mechanics want you to come back to them over and over again.

Review Date: 13th June, 2007

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 from North America

Previous carMercedes-Benz E-Class

Summary:

Jeep/Chrysler lost its quality on this one

The MPG on this car sucks. Rubber molding around front doors not fitted properly (wind noise). Engine leaks after 25,000 miles (oil pan and valve cover gasket). Plastic cover for headlamps (easily scratched and freeway dings) deteriorate after 10,000 miles. Automatic window on passenger side stop working after 60,000 miles. Automatic door lock for the back door stopped working after 2 years. The hood will not stay open after 2 years. We maintain this car regularly, but still hears like rocker noise when cold.

General Comments:

Dependable, but miles per gallon sucks big time.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2007

24th Nov 2007, 17:57

This is my third Jeep... and it is pressing my patience. Was great for first 60k...then it needs something every week. What is really sad is that the issues are poor mostly engineering.The a/c heater issue with blend doors is going to push everyone over the edge...$1200 to change a defective plastic door!!! Now it wants new window regulators, fan relays,...sadly you can predict when everything will break by just reviewing this web site. I am a die hard Chysler fan, but this 2002 Jeep is finally going to send me some place else.