2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 3 of 10

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from North America

Year of manufacture2002

Summary:

Waste of money

Cooling fan loosened and broke down, leading to failure of thermostat and fan relay.

Purchased the vehicle from a Jeep dealer in 2005, and within 4 months, relay, thermostat and cooling fan had to be replaced. Among other things with service engine light on, gas cap replaced, axle problems, brake problems, again the cooling fan, relay, etc. And the dealer is of no help; the service contract indicates the relay and thermostat are not covered unless a failure of a covered component (cooling fan) causes their failure, then they will cover the parts not covered. Since the cooling fan requires a relay and thermostat, then all should be covered as the service contract stipulates.

We recently learned of all the problems with the cooling fan, relay issue, and the fact that Chrysler has not done a recall.

General Comments:

Will never purchase another Chrysler/Jeep product.

Review Date: 24th November, 2009

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 4.7L Automatic

Summary:

Best value in an SUV anywhere!

One tire pressure sensor failed at 77,000.

General Comments:

What every 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee owner should know is that at some point the window regulators will fail and are not a cheap fix.

My 2002 Laredo had three regulators fail in 5 months and each was about a $130.

My 2002 has 74,000 miles with a 4.0L and regular oil changes. Never a problem at all and runs like new.

My 2004 Overland was purchased to tow my trailer, and has 80,000 well maintained miles on it without a problem at all. Very powerful 4.7L Daimler motor that is as bullet proof as the 4.0L in my Laredo.

I've owned 4 Grand Cherokees since 1997, all were 4.0L except the Overland. My 1997 was sold with 180,000 miles, and my 1998 sold with 160,000, and both were running like swiss watches.

These vehicles retain their value better than any other SUV on the planet!

Review Date: 10th October, 2009

7th Feb 2012, 10:49

I agree with your statement pertaining the great reliability of the 4.0L inline 6's, however... the moment you claimed that these SUV's retain value better than any other in the world made me laugh uncontrollably... they really don't, as I can currently get a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 with decent mileage for approximately 4-6.000 thousand dollars... try buying ANY 2004 Toyota or Honda SUV for that price, you will not find one. Thus your claim is incorrect.

Regards,

Mat.

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 6 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 4.0L 6 cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired42000 miles
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

Jeeps are highly durable and, if you overlook some irritating defects, is a good brand to go with

Overheating when idle.

Power window regulators broke.

Hood hydraulics not functioning.

General Comments:

The 'overheats while idle' issue was caused by a faulty radiator fan motor, which in turn shorted out the radiator fan relay switch, which is located under the passenger-side headlight. In order to fix this issue, you must replace both the radiator fan motor/assembly as well as the relay switch at the same time. :)

Review Date: 9th September, 2009

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 4.7L Automatic
Previous carPontiac Sunfire

Summary:

All the good of the old Jeeps, but too many modern problems!

When I turned the heat on last October - I received cold air instead. A behind the dash vent "door" was the culprit and the whole thing was replaced at a cost of $750. (had estimates of $1200 and $1400 too)

Both front window motors went within 2 years - $350 each.

Emergency brake not working as of 3 years ago.

Also, had trouble with the glove box - not covered under warranty (another waste of money) - but if I bought a new glovebox for $120 the South Bay Jeep dealership in South Bay LA California was going to install it free... I bought it at the Junkyard for $20 and had my guy put it in.

Now I have the check engine light - O2 sensor - BS

I know Chrysler is a private company now. However they seem determined to drive people to buy other vehicles.

I love the comfort and 4 wheeling aspects of my Jeep but could never buy another after this debacle. Many people have the same problems, yet how many of these items have recalls. In my opinion there is a pattern here. For those of us that wish to buy American it's tough. I'll look at FORD next time I buy a car, but never a Jeep again!

General Comments:

Comforts are great when they work! Handles great off road... Need to win the Lottery to pay for annual repairs!

Review Date: 4th August, 2009