2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6 Cyliner from North America

Summary:

Disappointed so far

Constant "tapping" noise while idling.

General Comments:

I just bought a 2003 Grand Cherokee with 39000 miles on it. I am very disappointed with the 6 cylinder performance; it feels like a small 4 cylinder engine. I hope the overhead computer showing gas mileage is wrong - it says I'm getting about 8.5 mpg. The main thing that concerns me is the constant engine "tapping" when idling... is this normal? I purchased a Chrysler warranty for it - I wonder if I'll be using it sooner than later...

Review Date: 27th January, 2006

8th May 2006, 21:54

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee with around 47 thousand miles on it. The reader says 18 mpg, and my 6 cylinder engine, although not high performance, definitely feels more powerful than a 4 cylinder engine. I'm sorry to say, but whoever you bought it from abused the poor thing beyond cruelty. I've owned mine since it came out around 2003. With normal maintenance and not "flooring it" (for lack of better vocabulary), it's made a great vehicle.

9th Sep 2006, 02:18

Don't buy a jeep if mileage is an issue. They just like to be push hard. I service it myself, and after changing 200 $ of suspension bushings, it just ride like a dream. Potholes eater thanks to solid structure.

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 from Mexico

Summary:

I woke up, and my nightmare is still there

The week after I bought it (brand new) the a/c wouldn't work anymore. Took it to the dealer, got it fixed under the warranty, then 5000 kms later, the power steering was leaking some fluid. Fixed it under the warranty.

15000 kms, the first transmission was blown, fixed under the warranty.

23000 kms, the 4wd system started to make a lot of noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me that some parts needed to be changed, still under warranty.

27000 kms, a/c won't work again, fixed under warranty, then the happiness began, no more problems until 40000 kms. The second transmission was blown (thank god I bought extended warranty) fixed under warranty.

At 50000 kms I changed all of the brake discs. They told me that warranty wouldn't take care of that.

70000 kms, the third transmission had blown, now I had to pay for it 3,000 dlls.

Right now it has 80,000 kms and everything seems to be OK.

I miss my Ford Explorer. I had it from 1998 to 2003, with no major problems. I curse the day I traded my Explorer for this piece of junksler.

General Comments:

I got a lemon, and Chrysler doesn't care about that. I will never never buy another Chrysler product again. I'm going to trade this SUV for the brand new Explorer. I hope this new Explorer is as good as the old one I used to drive.

I think that if it wasn't for the warranty I would be poor right now from spending thousands of dollars fixing problems.

I also have some nice comments about the SUV:

The seats are comfortable.

The sound system is great.

The engine is pretty fast.

The design of the truck is beautiful.

That's it.

Review Date: 12th December, 2005

17th Dec 2005, 01:38

Funny how reading that someone is having similar problems with their Jeep makes me feel better. Good thing I am leasing this junk, so I can look forward to returning it to the dealership.

9th Sep 2006, 02:36

Come and try my 1999. With minimum maintenance it drive like new. By the way, to kill a 45rfe Chrysler's transmission, you just need a dealer. Otherwise a 39,99 sensor will make it new.

You probably went home with the same transmission, repaint. The should have reprogrammed it.

11th May 2007, 14:29

You just had bad luck with this one because Ford Explorers are not really good cars either. I had one myself and the engine rattled a lot, the windows weren't working properly, wobbled too much to the side when going over bumps. I would personally rather stick with A Jeep Liberty-that's the only SUV Consumer reports reccomended from Jeep. The only thing good about Ford are their trucks!