2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 4 of 10

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Previous carChrysler Pulsar

Summary:

Caveat Emptor

Purchased Dec 06.

Driver window regulator went out March 07, fixed it.

Passenger window reg went out June 07, fixed it.

Check engine light off and on for approx 18 months. Started staying on April 09, scan shows some sort of "exhaust" code, but not sure what.

Relay for engine cooling fan went out, replaced in fall of 08.

Noticed front end wobble when stopping, took it in to get brakes checked, was told it was the rotors they were "turned". Fall of 08 approx 70k miles, now bad again at 84,000 going to need to be replaced.

CD player gets EXTREMELY hot.

Wiper delay for windshield no longer works Jan. 09.

After reading other reviews, I am afraid of what will go wrong next.

General Comments:

Used to have an old Wagoneer and loved it. The X sold it. I then dreamed of getting my own new Jeep. The dream is now nightmare and I will not be looking to buy a Jeep ever again.

Review Date: 4th August, 2009

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Most recent distance120000 miles

Summary:

Piece of crap

I bought the 2003 JGC in 2006. After 2 weeks I noticed the ticking sound so I brought it back to the dealership. They told me it would stop and it was only making that sound because the car hasn't been driven in a while.

A few months later it was still making the sound, so I brought it to a family friend that used to work for Jeep. He told me that the engine lifers had collapsed.

About 6 months after having the Jeep, the fan relay broke. I paid to have it fixed. Almost a year later the fan relay broke again. This time Jeep covered the cost. Now it's happened again about a month ago, and I just brought it to my family friend and it turns out my fan motor burnt out from the relay breaking so many times.

Now my newest problem is the fuel pump. Just had a new one put in this past week and the car is dead already. I hate Jeep!!!

General Comments:

This car sucks and I will NEVER buy one again...

Review Date: 16th April, 2009

13th May 2009, 07:51

I am having the same exact problems with my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo! No more American cars!!!

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland from North America

Year of manufacture2003

Summary:

Perfect for me

Rear differential lubricant pump failed - Jeep replaced at no cost to me.

General Comments:

I bought this vehicle for several reasons. First of all, I have a family, so I needed a four door vehicle. Second, I live in Colorado so I need a 4X4 for the winter weather, and for the four-wheel-drive roads that take me to the places I love to go. I also have a small travel trailer (21ft 3500 lb dry weight). Jeep equipped this vehicle with a towing package that will pull 6500 lbs. My trailer, family, bicycles and kayaks have never had to stay home.

My experience has been very positive. I have had the vehicle for 6 years, and other than normal maintenance, no repair expenses have been paid by me. I have never replaced the brakes or had any pulsating problems, and at 62000 miles there is plenty of wear left.

I have the original tires still on this vehicle. The vehicle itself looks like new.

The 4.7L HO engine is a hard worker with gobs of power and torque. It pulls my trailer easily, even over Colorado's high mountain passes.

When I have pulled my trailer to a campsite, set up and dumped my gear, I now have a vehicle capable of negotiating Colorado's exciting back roads and Jeep trails with ease. I think this is where this vehicle separates itself from the rest of the trailer pullers. It is narrow enough for back country roads and has the ground clearance to climb over rocks, tree roots, ditches and etc.

If I could ask for anything more, it would be for a larger gas tank. Pulling a trailer, I am lucky to get 11-12 MPG, and if I am not careful enough to refill before I leave civilization, I have to curtail my exploration so I will have enough fuel to haul my gear out of the outback.

One last thought - I didn't buy this vehicle to drive to work, and I hardly ever have - except during periods of deep snow - where this vehicle performs exceptionally well. I have virtually no city driving miles on this vehicle and it REALLY DOES make a difference. The vehicle that I drive to work everyday has 30000 miles on it, and the tires will need to be replaced within 10000 miles. The brakes have as much wear on them as this Grand Cherokee with twice that many miles.

I take good care of my vehicles, follow the recommended maintenance intervals, and they have never let me down. Also this vehicle almost never sits outside. Keeping everything as clean as possible makes a difference too. It has lived up to every expectation that I had when I bought it. I am looking forward too many more happy escapes in my Grand Cherokee.

Review Date: 25th March, 2009

1st Jul 2009, 18:05

Hello, this is a follow up to my earlier post. I just pulled my travel trailer on a 4400 mile road trip from Colorado to Florida, Virginia and back - some of the trip in 100 plus degree weather and thought I would let you know that this Grand Cherokee performed flawlessly. I could not be happier with it. Remember, consult your scheduled maintenance book supplied with your vehicle. If you bought a used vehicle and it didn't come with one, contact Jeep and get one. 4WD vehicles are expensive to maintain because they have much more equipment to have to service. I personally find it easier to follow a maintenance schedule than to worry about problems that might crop up. And one more thought - don't waste your 4WD vehicle driving it to work and the grocery store. You will be much better off having the appropriate vehicle for the job you do.

70000 miles now and still rock solid.