2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Not a bad car - expected better 4-wheel drive system!

Replacement of power steering pump under warranty by dealership.

General Comments:

Overall not a bad vehicle - comfortable and reliable.

Took car to dealer to verify that Quadra Trac II system was working. Tires spin on slick surfaces, VERY poor in the snow. Dealer stated that all was working correctly and functioning as designed. This is quite possibly the worst full-time four wheel drive system I have ever owned! My wife's Toyota RAV is hands down a better vehicle in the snow.

Not what I expected from Jeep!

Review Date: 11th February, 2007

20th May 2007, 07:42

Curious, what tires were you running? I believe Jeep to have an excellent all wheel drive, granted you are running the correct type of tires. Cheers, hope you worked it out.

22nd Jul 2007, 12:10

Jeep comes stock with extremely poor tires mostly Goodyear st. They are junk, get new tieres you go anywhere in the snow with decent all terrains.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

It's a Jeep thing; I love it

Only general maintenance.

General Comments:

My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been a very reliable ride for the past 3 years. I now have 75,000 miles, & have had no problems whatsoever with it.

I replaced tires with Michelin radials @ 60,000, and @ 65,000 I replaced front brake pads and rotors. Rotors were worn past turnability, so new ones were required.

I get ~18 miles per gallon average & I expect to run this thing to at least 150,000 miles before I sell or trade.

This is my second Jeep product, & most certainly I will buy another one. My brother is a retired Chrysler employee, & as his relative I get the employee discount. I can't afford to, nor would I insult my brother by going to Toyota or Nissan.

Review Date: 8th January, 2007

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 from North America

Summary:

Very Good truck, what I expected

Oil pressure sensor (changed under warrenty}

General Comments:

Wow with all the negative comments on the WJ Grand Cherokee wonder if I should sell quick. For some strange reason (based on other reviews) we have been almost 100% satisfied. We now have 28000+ miles and have had only two minor problems, but then we shouldn't have problems with a quality vehicle in that few miles. It is not an economy car by any means, but doesn't do bad for a 4400lb vehicle with a small V8 and full time 4WD. We are on our first set of brakes. Rotors are starting to show wear and pads will most likely be due replacement by this time next year. I personally feel that is totally acceptable. I do my own maintenance of which to date has only been routine oil changes, rotate tires, etc..

Only problem We've had with Jeep is the Oil Pressure gauge quit working giving a check gauges light, 0 indication on gauge and deep concern by me. I called our Jeep Dealer they told us to look for obvious reasons for the light / low oil pressure. Lack of oil, Major leak or physical damage if we found none it would be safe to drive to the dealer, about that time the gauge came back to life. We took it to the dealer and they changed the sending unit under warranty.

My only real negative to the Jeep is / was the factory tires are down right dangerous in anything but dry road conditions. We live in the Upper of Michigan and get more than our fair share of WINTER driving conditions. I finally got rid of the OEM tires this fall. They still had lots of tread left (7/32) but I had come to think of them as down right dangerous in bad weather, poor off road capabilities, Heck they didn't even get decent traction on a wet boat launch. After replacing the OEM tires with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor the truck now performs as a Jeep should in snow, slush and off road. I don't know why Jeep would put such a wimpy tire on a "Trail Rated" vehicle. I can only guess that maybe Jeep feels a majority will be sold to soccer Moms and never see off road or real winter conditions. The others will just have to buy better tires.

Overall a very positive experience so far. Sure hope I don't end up with some of those problems other years / reviewers have had. At least I know what to look out for.

Review Date: 11th December, 2006

4th Mar 2007, 16:27

About your concern on reputation, it's often undeserved. Lack of maintenance is the bottom line. Watch for oil seal leaks, witch is the cause of premature wear on diffs and transfer case. Otherwise it's a run forever machinery, with above average structural stiffness. I own a 99 that ride and drive like new.