1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.4 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

It's a average car

The Power Steering Unit and the Brakes have been a big problem with this model. Any one know what model of Mity Vac to use, to purge the power steering system. I was told model J35555 and J43485 (adapter), but I can't find them anywhere. Is there a different part number for these tools, or a similar tool that can be used to do the same job? Any suggestions or answers can be emailed to beauporter@hotmail.com

Review Date: 29th October, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.4 from North America

My alternator went out at about 60000, my back driver side ABS went out around the same time. My powersteering pump went out also. The noice from the steering wheel grinding is a sign that you may need a new one. My radio also has the evil thing of turning up when I want it turned down. I found that if you pull the knob out then turn it down it will work. I have also found that investing in the car maintenance book that there are a lot of things you can work on yourself. Changing the brakes is easy along with the oil/filter and the spark plugs.

Now I am having a problem with when I am on the freeway doing a steady 70 there is a jerking feeling every once in awhile. I was thinking either the transmission or the lifters... the jury is still out on that one.

Review Date: 24th October, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am 2.6 liter from North America

Summary:

Started out as a good car, but the end is near

Constantly replacing wheel bearings.

Rotors replaced 3 times.

Drivers window will not go down when it is cold.

Requires three front end alignments per year.

Pass lock sensor.

Intake valve.

Rear suspension problems.

General Comments:

I have been replacing parts all year in the hope that I can drive this car to 200G miles. The security light just came on yesterday and I am anticipating problems as I'm sure it's the passlock sensor. I was amazed to read the posts here about wheel bearings. It's nice to know I'm not alone. The 99 is my third Grand Am. I had an 89 with paint delamination problems, a 95 with a quad four *terrible engine* with head gasket problems. Sad to say, I'm actually thinking of not buying another Pontiac.

Review Date: 29th September, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 3.4 from North America

Summary:

Poor Quality

First I have to say Pontiac Sucks! Have you ever seen a Pontiac Firebird and a Chevy Camaro of the same year, say 98 for example. The Pontiac is trashed and the Camaro still looks nice.

ANY WAYS, I purchased a 99 Grand Am GT-1 in 2003 with 39,000 miles on it. Okay, here it goes.

First I replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets when I got it, because it was leaking into the engine.

Next, had to replace the power steering pump at 40,000 miles.

Next, all the window regulators went out within a week of each other.

ALSO, I'm still leaking antifreeze, I am pretty sure that its the water pump this time.

Also, the BRAKES, talk about noisy, especially when cornering. The rotors will need to be replaced soon, I just know it!!

The Security Light that comes on every once in awhile, it's very annoying, especially when you have to wait about 15 minutes before you can start it again.

General Comments:

The repairs are easy to do yourself, so I would recommend taking the time to do it, just to save yourself some money. And as always, BUYER BEWARE! I should have stuck with Nissan!!!

Fast and fun, but lots of trouble, especially at only 57,000 miles on it.

Review Date: 4th September, 2006

4th Oct 2006, 21:41

Yeah, most 99 Grand Am's are lemon's. But most Pontiac's are lemons, including the firebird. They might have the same drivetrain, but that is where the similarities end, the body and everything else are not the same quality at all.

26th Oct 2006, 22:46

Yeah... it is pretty bad. I already replaced my caliber, rotors and now the power steering is going. I've only got 85k on it. and I've been the owner since it had 6k. The repairs were easy to do by myself... OK I had help, but no need to pay extra for labor fees. I have an SE, but in the long run its been through a lot of crap. I treat it like it's my beater car. You couldn't even imagine. But it's still alive and willing, so I'm thankful for that.