1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4 from North America

I bought the car new in May of 1999. Until a year ago had not had much trouble. Last January took it in for power steering leakage, the replaced hoses and said that was the problem. Took it in again 8 months later (this week) for power steering leakage. Dealer said it was the power steering gear and replaced short gear assembly. Also had a broken rear spring. Also had to replace right rear tail light circuit board. They also did a 4 wheel alignment that they did not tell me about, but charged me for, saying it was needed with the gear assembly replacement.

My son also owns a 1999 Grand Am and has had similar problems.

Review Date: 17th August, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT HO from North America

Too many expensive mechanical problems, but a great looking fast, fun and versatile car

We replaced the alternator at 31,000 miles.

We replaced the water pump at 36,000 miles.

We replaced the starter at 82,000 miles

We replaced the #6 fuel injector at 67,000 miles.

We replaced the out-take manifold gasketat 83,000 And had to replace for a 2nd time at 83,000 miles the water pump & #6 fuel injector.

Now the turn signal switch is bad at only 83,000 miles and needs to be replaced.

We have reporter all of this information to Pontiac-G/M, but to date have not seen any recalls issued.

**Please make sure to call in all of your repair information to Pontiac/GM so that they have a record of it. They will not issue a recall notice on any parts unless a certain number have to be repaired or replaced.

General Comments:

The car is a really fun & fast car. The HO engine really makes a difference with the V-6 (it has the power of a V-8!) It also is a great looking car. It has a ton of room in the back seat & fits 4 people very comfortably. The back seats fold down do you can carry large items in the truck too!

Review Date: 5th June, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT V6 from North America

The car is sporty, just what I was looking for

I bought the car used July 24,2003. It was a birthday present to myself. The car is a black 2 door Pontiac Grand AM GT that I love. It makes me look COOL! I bought it with 54K miles on it. I am grateful to the dealer to tell me about the extended warranty. This was my first car that I had bought. All others were gifts from my parents. But.. I have had the following problems

1) water pump replaced

2) the needle to show the amt of gas replaced

3) transmission rebuilt

4) motor!!!

5) fuel pump and filter

And to the commets about coolant leaking. I had that problem that lead to having to get a motor. 1-3 were covered by my extended warranty, but 4 and 5 are covered by my parent and me. Grateful to have an experienced mechanic that is my uncle in the family. Yeah, the knob for my radio does not function well, but that is small stuff I am not sweating that. I can just use the controllers that are on the steering wheel. After all of that I love my car and it will be paid for in December '06!!

Review Date: 30th May, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4L from North America

I couldn't have done the last three years of my life without her

Fuel pump went @ 60,000 miles.

Air conditioner currently doesn't work (awaiting repair)

Horn currently doesn't work (awaiting repair)

Annoying clicking from hazard relay switch (awaiting repair)

Alternator pulley squeaks.

General Comments:

This car is excellent and has served me well over the last three years through 120 mile a day commutes in the hot summer weather as well as the cold winter months. The only real problem was the fuel pump going, which cost $650 to replace. Her security interlock system is also a bit finicky at times, though this is few and far between. Surprisingly for me at least my '99 seems to have none of the mechanical problems reported in the later model years. She does occasionally run hot while idling, but never to the point of overheating. All in all, an excellent and fun car.

Review Date: 30th May, 2006