1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4 from North America

Looks great and runs well - when it runs!

The bad brake pads and rotors on my Grand Am have put a "stop" to my driving for the third time. First at 29,000 miles, then 54,000 miles, and now at 72,000.

Last Mass state vehicle inspection I had to replace front-passenger side tie rod. Mechanic said the wheel was due to fall off any day.

The security pass-lack system has been keeping me out of the car so often for the past 3 months. On a whim, the security light comes on any the engine will not start. Sometimes it starts after 20 minutes or so, and other times it can take hours. Each time I enter my car I have to say a prayer due to it's erratic behavior. Naturally, nothing happens when it's at the dealership.

Other than normal wear-and-tear replacements (battery, hoses, belts, etc.) I have replaced or repaired the following:

Alternator, starter, 2 front wheel bearing/hub assemblies, both front springs, shocks, valve cover gasket, 2 driver's side-view mirrors, 1 passenger side-view mirror, driver's side window, belt pulley, and these are just off the top of my head.

In the summer, the radio (and time) display looks like Chinese symbols. On the highway, the wind noise from the mirrors is deafening. The trunk leaks. The cup holders are improperly placed. Many times I have left a bottle of water in them (cup holders) and when I put the car into park I have really smashed my fingers!

Did I mention that I baby this car in regards to service and maintenance?

General Comments:

With all of the mechanical and electrical problems, this car spends significantly more time in the shop than on the road.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2006

1999 Pontiac Grand Am from North America

I love the car (except for the key security issue)

My security light flashes sometimes too, and I have to wait the 10 minutes to try again. One thing you might try is (while you're waiting anyway) cleaning the key with a baby wipe or even just a napkin. If the key has built up dirt, the car thinks it's the wrong key and that the vehicle is being stolen. It works. I've started cleaning my key every once in a while, just so I don't have to sit and wait.

Unfortunately, it's done it twice this week, and I know for a fact the key is clean, so I'm afraid it will be something more. Perhaps the ignition has built up dirt. Will try cleaning that tonight.

Review Date: 18th August, 2006

18th Aug 2006, 14:08

Congrats on a really GREAT car!! I'm a car buff and in the past 40 years (I'm nearing 60) I've owned over 35 cars, ranging from Muscle cars to station wagons. The all-time best car I have ever owned is one of the ones I now own. It's a 2001 Grand Am SE-1 with the 4-cylinder twin-cam engine. It is unbelievably fast (barely slower than my 5.0 Mustang), gets great mileage (30mpg) and rides, drives and handles super. If I need to get somewhere really fast in traffic, its the ONLY one I choose. It will blow the doors off my V-6 truck and 275hp SUV and do it with a much smoother and more civilized ride. I plan to drive this one until I'm too old to drive. We've owned both foreign and domestic cars and trucks, and nothing has come close to the incredible value of this Grand AM. It cost half of what a Camry would cost and is worth twice as much.

18th Oct 2006, 14:48

I have a 1999 Grand Am which I bought used and it has 130k miles on it. It's a pretty car, but I have some of the same issues, what with the paint flaking on the spoiler and hearing the hazard lights in the car... when they are not on. Now I'm having a problem with my traction control and ABS lights coming on all the time. I've had to replace the tire rods and the muffler pipe going into the manifold. Other than that it's not doing too bad. I drove it from S. Dakota to California, although on the way here is when the muffler pipe blew.