1993 Pontiac Sunbird Reviews - Page 4 of 9

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1993

Summary:

Decent Car

Before I got my car home the engine blew on it. It was then replaced and I have 25,000 miles on it.

I have replaced the alternator 3 times.

Both doors rusted out at the bottom.

I replaced the radiator.

Currently the engine is torn apart because it started leaking antifreeze. Looks like it was the head gasket. Between the the third and fourth cylinder the gasket partially broke. Water shot up into the oil. I'm having the head pressure tested to make sure its still good no word on that yet. Also if the head is good the seats have to be redone on the cylinders.

I'm replacing all the upper gaskets, timing belt, air conditioner belt, and water pump while the engine is torn apart due to the difficulty of tearing it apart.

General Comments:

This car is great for handling and performance.

However I have only put on 25,000 miles and seem to have done a lot of work on it.

I'm hoping the head is fine and replacing the head gasket and all the other upper gasket that it will be fixed.

I would love to keep this car forever, but if I can't fix this current problem then I probably will be hesitant to buy another used car that's a gm over 30,000 miles.

Review Date: 15th April, 2004

29th Jul 2004, 23:22

It's OK to buy another GM, just buy a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird. They are much more reliable!

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1 from North America

Most recent distance193000 miles

Summary:

Good first car

The interior is falling apart.

It needs struts in the back.

It bottoms out.

The catalytic converter is melting into a ball. That makes my car sound really horrible while driving it.

I had to replace the starter.

I had to replace the brakes and and brake pads.

General Comments:

This car was OK for a first car. It only cost me 1,200.00 so I'm not really complaining. I would only recommend it as a first car. I can't stand it because it makes so much noise. The best part about this car is the interior just because it is very comfortable.

Review Date: 28th October, 2003

16th Sep 2005, 07:39

Well I think that you guys just got a bad couple of cars. it seems to me that in general the car is a Great car. especially if you can pick one up below a grand. I have one and I've experienced none of the problems that you have.

Tony.

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 3.1L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.1L V6 Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Beetle

Summary:

Inexpensive, yet very reliable.

Breaks were replaced last year, and wore very quickly.

The factory stereo is set up in such a way that it is difficult to add an after-market stereo.

The rotors should be replaced.

Due to the front struts going out, every bump I hit makes an annoying squeaking noise.

General Comments:

The car is very fast.

The engine and transmission are in their original form, no work has been done other than the occasional oil change.

I have plans to bore the cylinders and have the engine rebuilt, not because it needs it, but because I race it, and this will help us both out.

Aftermarket parts for this car can be difficult to find, in my area the car is quite uncommon.

It is always fun to drive my car onto the track with all those Honda's. No one believes my car can do what it does, but I smoke them, then I'm the one laughing.

I love this car. It is very reliable, and sporty. I wouldn't trade it in on the world.

Review Date: 31st July, 2003

5th Dec 2003, 20:17

Hey. I have been driving a 1993 Pontiac Sunbird. I read the problem with the cd player installation. In my car the cd player was installed underneath the dash where the old radio is at. The previous owner unhooked the old radio and hooked up the new cd player before they sold the car. I've had mine for almost a year and it has 125,00 miles on it, but my car also has the annoying squeaking sound when you hit bumps in the road.