1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0 from Puerto Rico

Summary:

It is a great car. I will keep it for as long as possible!

The alternator has been changed 2 times.

The radiator once started to leak (about 2 years ago) and I had it replaced.

The fan has also been replaced 2 times.

General Comments:

This car has never let me down. It is very reliable. Where I live I travel some 30 miles daily to my office. The weather is always scorching hot, there are always traffic jams, and I travel quite confidently in my '93 Sunbird.

Review Date: 14th August, 2001

11th May 2002, 20:57

I have a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE, and I have to say it is a very reliable car, and I wish that they still made the same ones, because I would definitely buy another one. I definitely recommend it as a used purchase to anyone.

29th Dec 2003, 11:31

I own a 1993 Sunbird LE. It is a good little car with only 64,000 miles on it, but the only problems I have with it are that the dome light is duct taped to the ceiling and one of the wires is cut so the doesn't even work. Also if the car gets up to 60mph, it starts to shake. But if Pontiac still made Sunbirds, I would most likely buy one brand new. This is my first car and I have had it less than a year. It gets up and goes pretty well for a 4 cylinder. I like how simple yet comfortable it is.

Chase.

1993 Pontiac Sunbird SE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Cheap piece of crap

Trunk leaks.

Radiator went out around 92000 miles.

Replaced the alternator 2 times.

Impossible to install a radio or CD player, no one manufactures a wiring harness to fit.

2.0 litre engine has no power.

Do not attempt to work on it yourself!! Leave it to the pros. This has to be the worst designed automobile ever.

General Comments:

If this will help save one poor unfortunate person who is considering buying a Sunbird reconsider, then it is worth it. This car is a total pain, if I ever was introduced to the person who was responsible for designing and engineering this car I would punch him in the face. I would rather own a 78 Pinto, at least you can work on a pinto.

Review Date: 11th June, 2001

11th Jul 2001, 13:16

Your comments about the '93 Pontiac Sunbird are incorrect. I understand you have an opinion, and I'm not trying to say your opinion is incorrect, but I just want to let everyone know that despite that you said "there is no way to install a CD player/tape deck in this car", there actually is a relatively easy way to do this. Any car stereo installation place can do this quite simply, just removed the oddly shaped square (stock) radio from the car, in its place you can put a small square piece of plastic (same color as interior) to cover the hole, or have some custom work done and turn it into a sunglass holder "pocket". Then, you can have a CD player/tape deck installed UNDER the A/C / Heating control area. It works out quite nicely and gives it a clean professional look.

1993 Pontiac Sunbird SE 4.6 from North America

Summary:

A great car for a cheap price

The only thing that has gone wrong with my Sunbird is that the pulleys broke (probably do to the high mileage).

The power steering went.

Review Date: 27th January, 2001

10th Feb 2001, 23:38

Hello, I own a 1994 Sunbird and we have had nothing but problems with it. We have had it for 3 1/2 years. Just today the head gasket went, a few months ago the water pump, before that the battery, before that the alternator, before that the radiator, and so on.

I hope you have better luck with yours. Oh, our car only has 119,000 miles.

Good luck.

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE I-4 Coupe 2.0L 4 cyl from North America

Alternator the first week I had the car.

The thermostat 3 times since June 21, 1999.

Front struts, rear shocks.

Front and rear brakes (total overhaul).

Two front tires.

Weatherstripping around the front doors leaks. Trunk leaks if it rains hard enough.

Replaced the front windshield.

The dealer who works on my car dropped my hood on a pair of Vise-grip pliers (ouch).

Emergency brake cable replaced.

Trunk and glove box rattles continuously.

Car squeaks.

General Comments:

I originally bought this car because I wanted something bigger than my Geo Metro LSi Convertible. The car has good looks, but the finish is lets just say, not the best.

The Sunbird has power for a 2.0L with the automatic transmission. I've added a K/N Filtercharger drop in air cleaner and added a Cherry Bomb muffler (soon I'm getting a Borla Boomer). These two enhancements, even minor, do work well with the car. I also plan to customize it more if at all possible.

Review Date: 15th September, 2000

20th Dec 2000, 10:58

s911cream@aol.com

I have a 91 3.1 L V6 Sunbird LE.

Any suggestions on how to make it quicker? and costs?

Do you know anything about adjusting the timing belts to enhance acceleration?

28th Feb 2001, 12:57

3.1 V6 engines do not have timing belts, they are driven by gears

1993 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0 Litre from North America

Summary:

OK

Alternator at 60k.

Head gasket at 85k.

Brakes at 95k.

Freeze plugs at 105k.

A/C at 105k.

General Comments:

Not too bad a car, if you just go short distances. But given the amount of maintenance needed in as little as 40k miles, forget it.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2000

1993 Pontiac Sunbird SE 3100 V6 from Israel

Summary:

Not a reliable car

Twice, every 2.5 years, the alternator and the starter.

Bad cooling system that always leaks - the pipes and the radiator.

The inside warming radiator has gone wrong after 3 years and 60000 km.

Change brakes every 20000 km.

The dashboard lost its shape.

General Comments:

Besides the great engine and the great power of the car, it isn't a car I would recommend.

Review Date: 26th July, 2000

21st Dec 2000, 13:50

Wow... I haven't had the electric problems you've had. I've had weird problems like the rack and pinion and the injectors needed replacing. I swear, my car knows when I get paid.

However, it's very powerful (I have a 92 Convertible with the V6) and very cute. No power complaints. Lots of fun to drive and nice tight steering and brakes. Only complaint is that my dash has warped too!