2001 Saturn L300 Reviews - Page 6 of 14

2001 Saturn L300 V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Most recent distance92000 miles

Summary:

Piece of junk

First thing that went wrong with this is the heater core busted into the floor of the passenger seat. Had this repaired from a friend that was a mechanic.

Then the big deal was I was driving on the highway at about 45 to 50 miles an hour when I heard a grinding noise under the hood, and my car just stalled with NO WARNING. Nothing had given warning to this whatsoever. I was able to coast off the highway into a parking lot with no power steering mind you.

My father has access to a roll back, and towed it to a local mechanic to find out the timing chain broke and has ruined my whole engine. Mind you I am still paying monthly payments on this car for another year while it sits in my driveway not able to move.

I don't have the money to replace the engine, and filed a complaint to find out they are dealing with 4 cylinders with the same issue, and because not enough people have complained about the V6 yet they are still "checking into it". Are you SERIOUS?

Really, never buy a Saturn, they have a NO TOLERANCE motor is what my mechanic told me. Wish the dealer would have enlighted me on this bit of info BEFORE I bought this car.

General Comments:

DO NOT BUY A SATURN. You will be paying for more than just a car payment for sure.

Review Date: 24th September, 2008

26th Sep 2008, 15:36

Your V6 L300 does not have a timing CHAIN, it has a belt. The four cylinder models have chains.

The belt requires periodic replacement (many cars at 60,000 mile intervals) --it will not last forever.

As for the interference engine (i.e. no tolerance) --that is very common nowadays for OHC engines. Almost all Hondas have interference engines, too. It's more common that non-interference engines, actually.

You need to understand that cars require periodic maintenance--especially those that are now 7 years old and approaching 100k miles. They're not magic machines. Treat it well and understand that EVERY car--no matter the manufacturer--requires periodic maintenance. Ignore it, and you'll pay the price!

2001 Saturn L300 3.0L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Automatic

Summary:

Incredible value for the content and price!

The ONLY issue I have had with this care has been with teh heater core. It was obviously going bad as I had antifreeze leaking into the passenger floorboard. A little Stop-Leak fixed this. I have had no issues beyond that.

General Comments:

This is the third Saturn I have had and I would have no issues owning another. This car is dangerously quick with the Saab engine. It's definitely a sleeper in that respect. The 4 wheel discs stop it just as quickly too. It's the most reliable car I have owned. It's also the most fun to drive of any car I have owned. It's sleek and sexy and there is no denying the Saab design lineage.

My biggest complaint, and perhaps the only complaint is with the seats. The leather is nice, but it's clearly not Italian leather. The seats could use a little more cushion and more adjustment for the power driver seat. I'm 6'1" and finding the perfect position for my legs is next to impossible. That being said, leg room for my kids in the back is a tad cramped too. But once they come out of car seats, that will give them more room.

I paid $6,900 for this car and it looks and drives as if brand new. I'll drive this car until the doors fall off!

Review Date: 8th August, 2008