1992 Toyota Celica GT 2.2 from North America

Summary:

The car is as close to perfect as a car can be

Oil Pump Seals

Steering Rack Seals

Power Steering Hose

Clutch Hydraulics

Radiator (twice)

A/C Evaporator valve.

General Comments:

This car is ultra-reliable. The things that have gone wrong are simply rubber deteriorating over time. I consider this normal, expected maintenance. About the only complaint I have is it's needed two radiator replacements. The Evaporator valve is a recall item.

The driver comfort and fit are impeccable.

The handling is perfectly balanced. I don't push it to its limit, but under all driving conditions it's solid on the road and a dream to drive long distances. It's very hard to get into trouble with this car.

After all this time and all those miles, it still runs like brand-new. And looks close to brand-new.

Dealer service is outstanding. Toyota service department know how to find problems and fix them right before the cause a real problem. And, at least the dearer I go to will deal with repair prices.

Review Date: 1st February, 2007

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2.2 DOHC 5SFE from North America

Summary:

The celica is a smaller version of the 93-98 supra to me

THE AXLES always go out the worst part about the car and the third gear on manual transmission come out bad.

General Comments:

The celica lift back in particular looks great its pretty quick for stock its compact sports light and quick and has a lot of potential of being more of what it has.

Review Date: 17th November, 2006

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2.2L DOHC from North America

Summary:

Every night feels like Christmas, because the next day I get to drive this car. Its that damn good

Nothing severely wrong has gone with it, so far this car has been mechanically perfect. Only things I should mention is that the brake pads are worn to nothing and shocks in the back are bad... but those are normal maintenance issues.

General Comments:

So far (Though I haven't had this car TOO long), this car is treating me like a king. Its never had any problems, knock on wood. (Complete opposite than the sunbird I had owned previously, but lets just ignore that one)

For a 4 Cyl car with DECENT (Good for the year) power, it gets decent gas mileage. I've seen worse, but I've also seen a lot better. I find that if I keep it down to 2.500 RPM's its not too bad.

I find that the stock seats in it aren't that comfortable, especially if you have neck problems. I'm 6'1" and I can't really drive for too long of a period of time (too bad, too, because this car is SO fun to drive!).

I know this isn't a high powered sports car, but it's got enough kick to get me going 50 KM/H or 110KM/H quickly.

I love my little Celica.

Review Date: 9th June, 2006

1992 Toyota Celica GT4 Carlos Sainz 2.0 turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

This car delivers so much for so little money

Nothing has gone wrong at all.

General Comments:

This car is reliable, smooth and quiet.

It can return good MPG if driven carefully. Performance is excellent.

The car is equipped with all the driver luxuries you need as a driver, which is why this is my everyday car.

The car even comes with a 6 speaker CD/Radio/Cassette as standard. Air-con and electric tilt/slide sunroof.

Review Date: 5th February, 2006

1992 Toyota Celica GT4 2.0 16v turbo 4x4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Massive G Force Fast Car

Manifold Bolts had broken, had to get them replaced.

The Clutch needs replacing.

Rocket Gasket was worn, and leaking oil.

Problem with both rear brake drums, needs professional attention.

Power Steering Fluid Leaking.

Drivers seat has worn hole on the arm.

Rattles / vibrations from beneath the car.

General Comments:

Apart from the problems, I have regret buying this car. It is very fast, it does 0-60 in about 6 seconds, has 201 brake horse power standard, and can hit 150mph. No bad turbo lag, if you change gear quick you are gone, the torque is great in 3rd/4th gear. Not many common cars on the road come near the acceleration. Being 4 wheel drive also helps, hardly any wheel spin, if any occurs. Quite a bit of G Force if you get a good rev, and lift the clutch up fast!

It really is a head turner, everyone is always looking around, it's nice to have a dump valve to increase the looks. The bonnet looks great, very different, the bonnet scoop moulds into the bonnet, the whole car has that well known Rally look.

This model celica (ST185) looks best in Red, in my opinion, in really brings out the style and scoop/vents. The Wide-arch body is the best looking which is available later on in this model (not sure when though), but it's noticeable wider!.

I recommend anyone this car, if you want fast, good looks, however be prepared that when things do go wrong, it costs quite a bit more than average to fix, but don't let that put you off buying one, its not worth it.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2005

21st Jan 2007, 18:53

It has discs at the back, not drums.

13th Nov 2007, 16:56

The handbrake is a drum type sitting inside the rear disc.

21st Nov 2009, 14:50

Carlos Sainz Celica Gt4. Very reliable, clutch needs replacing and rear end skids out too often, spun out on a round about twice in 3 days.