1992 Toyota Celica Reviews - Page 3 of 8

Engine and transmission 2.2L Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Most recent distance120500 miles
Previous carDodge Intrepid

Summary:

Great Car, I'd recommend it to anyone!

The antenna has fallen off, but it was easily screwed back on in a matter of three minutes.

No mechanical problems at all.

General Comments:

Great car. I used to own a 1995 Dodge Intrepid (auto) and loved the car for it's power. I thought that switching to a smaller car would prove to be a little disappointing as far as the power that it could provide, but I was proven wrong.

Car is fast

Reliable

Shifts perfectly

Exterior is in excellent condition

Interior is in perfect condition

Love the look and feel of this car.

(this was my first car that was stick, I learned how to drive it in about 30 minutes and it was great)

Review Date: 30th April, 2005

1992 Toyota Celica GT 2.0 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

Reliable and sporty import

The serpentine belt slipped, but did no damage at all to the engine. The total cost including labor was $146.00.

Apart from that, I have done nothing to the car except put a new set of tires on, and changed the oil every 4,000 miles.

General Comments:

A great little car with surprising performance and great fuel economy. It's a bit cramped inside, but not uncomfortable. The trunk is huge for such a small car.

If you need parts, most are available off the shelf at popular parts centers.

The car has no rust at all, and turns heads.

The only fault I've had was due to the original owner never replacing the serpentine belt, and it got old and slipped, which knocked the timing out. This was a simple fix.

The car is 100% reliable, which is more than can be said for the Chevy Malibu that it replaced.

Review Date: 19th April, 2005

1992 Toyota Celica GT Convertible 2.2L 5-Speed from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L 5-Speed Manual
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

I loved this car! Get one!

My mother bought this car in 1994 with only 10000 miles on it. I bought it from her in 2002 when she was getting ready to upgrade. This was also the time that it needed some minor maintenance which she didn't want to take care of.

The CV Joints had to be replaced which cost $300.

The back window ripped at the corner. It had also done this back when my mom first bought it. The dealership said this was the stress point of the top. This was somewhat of a problem considering I had fairly expensive speakers in the trunk right under the window, however, it wasn't worth fixing because it didn't leak too bad.

The power antenna stopped working many years ago.

General Comments:

I couldn't part with this car when my mom wanted to sell it. Even though it was 10 when I started driving it, it had spent just about every night in the garage and people thought I bought a new car.

I don't quite understand how, but some people thought it was a BMW.

Having grown up with this car and being the youngest child, I spent plenty of time in the back seat including a ten hour trip to St. Louis. I definitely wouldn't recommend the back seat for large people.

There is actually less noise in this car than in my moms new Solara Convertible.

The manual transmission is the only way to go. The automatic saps a lot of power and isn't near as fun. This isn't the fastest car or the best handing, however, there wasn't another one like it in the city I grew up in. There isn't a car that looks anything like it.

If a school bus had not had its way with my baby, I would have kept it until I died. Even then, I would be buried in it.

I would buy another if I could find one in as good of shape.

Review Date: 16th February, 2005

22nd Oct 2008, 08:52

My '91 Celica convertible still has the original top but the plastic window is about done for. It too has tears in the corners from about a year or so back. I sealed these with contact cement on either side. The window yellowed to the point one couldn't see thru it anymore so I painted it gray. My plan is to cut out the old one & put in a slightly larger one & attach it w/glue & velcro from the inside. Top replacement from a top shop are pricey on these.

15th Jun 2009, 17:09

Follow up on the above comment. The local top shop wanted $325 to remove, sew new plastic window, reinstall my top. Yesterday I took the plunge & cut out my old plastic window & velcrowed in a replacement. I used 4 dollars worth of WalMart velcro that I glued into place w/contact cement (glue). After I had the velcro in position on both the rear inside of the top & on the window. a friend & I put it in place. So far so good, we got the window tighter than I expected. It stays in place during top up & down motions. I don't know how it'll handle the rain (yet) but I think with a little sealer I can make it do pretty good. Total investment $40.