1988 Toyota Corolla DX 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Great student or commuter car

Had to get new tire when rim was bent in accident.

General Comments:

I looked for a car for about 3 months. I went through nearly 80 cars until I found this car. Originally I was looking for a Honda accord with 160k or so, but when I found this car even with its high mileage I knew it was the one.

With over 200k most cars wouldn't be something I would even look at, but the last owner kept proper maintenance and this thing is beautiful! It drives, sounds, and looks a lot newer then its age. Most of my friends believe it is a 90 something when they drive in it. Its engine just keeps going and going.

This car isn't really powerful at 90hp it doesn't have great pickup, it goes and can cruise at 70 nicely so and get 28mpg easy, but with 4 people in the car your going to have to give room for it to accelerate when pulling into traffic. I think a Manual would operate a lot better, it isn't a heavy car and I think the speed could have to do with it's gearing.

The inside is very comfortable with lots of room and easy to use controls.

It is also a very reliable car. It has been run off the road twice, once its previous drive ran it into a ditch during the winter and it went into some woods due to high speeds, but other than a few minor scratches that I'm working on buffing out and a few minor dents it is no worse for the ware. It's TCO has been very low so far.

Review Date: 1st March, 2005

1988 Toyota Corolla LX 1.6 16v EFI from North America

Summary:

Unbelievably Reliable, Sporty Economic Go-anywhere car

The Clutch Disk wore out

The Pilot bearing was replaced

Water-pump leaked, and was Replaced

CV Joint replaced.

General Comments:

For an AWD car, low to the ground, it has been the best winter vehicle I have driven. I Beats my 4WD truck without a doubt. It is near impossible to get this car stuck in a snowbank, or on ice in a steep alley. Driving in the winter with this car is easier than walking.

The car handles very good on corners at a faster speed than what I should be going at. The 1.6L has more than enough power to climb steep back roads on mountain sides.

The interior is free of junk. I am 6'5" and Its somewhat comfortable.

The inside is cheap looking, but it makes it feel more sportier and reliable, knowing there isn't knobs to break and distracting gauges.

The air conditioning loads the engine down bad, and the shifter is too long for me.

Review Date: 28th January, 2005

1988 Toyota Corolla XL 1.3 petrol from Costa Rica

Summary:

Basic, but hyper-reliable transportation tool

Normal wear and tear. However, the interior shows almost no visible signs of tear whatsoever.

A couple of years ago, power door locks sometimes refused to work - the problem disappeared by itself. One of the ventilation controls broke - but that was my fault.

The air conditioner seems too much of a burden for the tiny 1.3 liter, feels kind of like cutting off a couple of cylinders. It has always been like that, since new. That said, it should also be noted that the gearing is chosen to extract the best possible performance out of the little thing, so when the air is off, the car ends up feeling quicker than it really is.

Nothing else.

General Comments:

It's a basic transportation tool and it fulfills its job without drama and without pretense. Great basic design, good choice of materials.

It's just so frigging R E L I A B L E that you would not believe, more so than any other car that comes to mind, except possibly other Toyotas (my father's Land Cruiser for example).

I am also the very happy owner of a 2001 Audi A6; however, I deem the reliability of the Corolla as far superior. I don't know if the Audi will be still with me in one piece 17 years from now, like the Corolla.

Review Date: 6th January, 2005