1988 Toyota Corolla Reviews - Page 6 of 12

1988 Toyota Corolla SR5 Sports Coupe from North America

Model year1988
First year of ownership1992
Engine and transmission Manual

Summary:

An excellent, faithful car!

I have replaced the clutch and the timing belt, but that was at 204,000 miles.

The driver's side window won't roll up without a helping hand, but again, this only started to happen a year ago.

Earlier repairs included replacing struts, front wheel bearings, and the starter. Mechanics have called it a "funny little car," but I have loved it!

General Comments:

This is my first and only car. I have driven it across the United States and back. It has lived through sweltering Southern California summers and frigid Upstate New York and Utah winters.

I am amazed at how well it handles for being 16 years old and with 211,000 miles on it. I am still able to zip around town and squeeze through the tightest spaces with ease. The engine often runs so quiet, passengers have been surprised it's even on.

The dashboard has cracked, the trunk leaks, the "LO" control on the air doesn't work, but the heater and A/C still kicks, and it still looks cute and sporty.

After having this car for so long and having it run so well, I am sold on Toyota.

Review Date: 13th December, 2004

8th Feb 2005, 13:30

I love this car. My father bought it for me right before I left for college in 1988 and I believe this to be the best car on the road.

The dashboard has 2 small cracks and the driver's side seatbelt broke a couple of years ago, but the latter was replaced by the dealer at no charge. The only major repairs I have needed to make were to replace the distributor cap and wires, starter and fuel pump, and of course, breaks, shocks, etc. I have 180,000 miles and the original clutch. The trunk does leak a little in a torrential rain and the air conditioner does not get as cool as it used to, but those are my only complaints.

This car turns on a dime and is a delight to zip around the San Francisco hills and freeways. Also, it squeezes in tight parking spaces with ease.

1988 Toyota Corolla SR5 1.6 4AFE from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 1.6 4AFE Manual
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Cheap 4wd power

Nothing much has gone wrong with the car, just keep is serviced and it will live for ever!

General Comments:

This car is pretty good for the price I paid which was $3300AUD with Road worthy condition and reg. The engine is also very strong and can keep up with most new cars in it class.

Has some room, but not as big as most wagons then again it is the same size as a corolla sedan or lancer sedan.

As a added bonus it is a 4wd which makes it a bit more safe. In addition the 4afe engine can be swapped over for a 4age 20v.

Review Date: 6th September, 2004

1988 Toyota Corolla hatch 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent distance204000 kilometres
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

Great and reliable

Replaced the old fuel pump. Put on new tyres, minor work.

General Comments:

The car is better then I expected. I wasn't very happy when my parents got it for me as I was only 18. Won a few races against other cars. Raced a friends Ford XD 81, left him behind by a car length. First car I smoked up using the park brake, very happy. Kept up with a newer corolla that had less kilometers then mine, runs beautifully. 2nd fastest car at my school, out of th eold and small cars.

Review Date: 24th May, 2004

1988 Toyota Corolla XL Liftback 1.3 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 1.3 petrol Manual
Previous carHolden Commodore

Summary:

If everyone learned to drive in one of these, there'd be no crashes

Locked CV joint after 6 months of clicking.

The radiator blew twice.

Water pump has been replaced twice.

Recurring problems with the distributor turning itself, upsetting timing.

General Comments:

This was my first road legal car, and I have to say it taught me how to really drive. There is something to be said for excessive body roll, slop in the suspension, and a very underpowered engine/body weight combo - it certainly showed me a thing or two.

The car has a very twitchy back end, although this has always been the case.

ABS would have been good, as it would have saved me the expense of replacing the headlights three times - let alone the cost of the other people's taillights.

The sills, A pillar, and tailgate surround are prone to rusting.

If I hadn't had the last crash, I would still be thrashing this Corolla - it won't die. Pity NZ cars need lights for a warranty of fitness.

This car performed remarkably well off-road, more-so than most "crossover" 4x4's.

Review Date: 13th March, 2004