1993 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Fast, fun, and reliable

Since I've had the car:

Plug wire burnt out, due to previous owner thinking he was a mechanic.

Tires.

Ball-joints.

Headliner came down completely.

And some rattles and other various noises, which I hear is common.

General Comments:

This is a very quick and agile car, which surprises most people. You can easily reach 110 in 5th gear with half throttle. This car has been driven by everyone and beat daily. I am actually surprised it still runs. I bought it from a friend for 100 dollars. It's great to see the looks on peoples face when they are passed by a purple shadow. If you buy one of these cars, but a radar detector since they are very easy to speed with.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2004

1993 Dodge Shadow ES V6 3.0 Liter from North America

Summary:

A small, yet roomy, car with power

I had to replace the water pump at 133,000 miles.

The radiator was also clogged beyond repair so I had to replace that at 133,000 miles.

The fuel pump went out on me and needed to be replaced at 142,000.

General Comments:

When I bought this car I took it to a very well-known, respectable mechanic and had the inspect everything before I bought it. He told me that there is a minor coolant leak in one of the hoses. That minor coolant leak turned out to be a broken water pump and clogged radiator, which both needed replacing.

Other than the fact that I spent more money on it in repairs than what I bought it for, I really liked it.

Only about 22 MPG, and a lot of them were freeway miles.

It was very roomy for such a small looking car. I am 6' 2" and I was comfortable.

My shadow was just totaled by a hit and run so I might be bitter about the fact that I put about $1,000 worth of work into it over a span of 9 months and then I can't even enjoy it.

Review Date: 19th June, 2004

1st Aug 2005, 15:10

Hey I'm 15 and getting a Dodge Shadow ES for my first car. It is free, so I am going to take the car. I hope it runs good.

14th Jun 2008, 23:30

I have had my 1993 Dodge Shadow ES convertible for over ten years, in three states, and I will never sell her. She is slowly wearing down but can still perform, I have replaced about everything, and am now trying to get a new top. She is still fast, corners nicely, and is just fun. Electronics wearing down in the Lake Havasu City heat (118 today) so I think she has about 130,000 miles, I sometime get the speedometer to work, and I still wonder what the big bulge on the hood is for :) My only big complaint are the automatic windows, they are poorly designed.

14th Jan 2009, 17:12

I agree the windows can be a problem, especially if you have a gassy passenger. But it's really nothing to make a stink about all things considered. So I ride solo mostly. It has a great package & overall it's a very fun good quality car.

1993 Dodge Shadow 2.2L from North America

Summary:

Nothing that I would think of buying again

The wheel bearings went at approximately 101000 miles.

The brakes and rotors were replaced at 101500 miles.

The bottom of the car had a horrible rust problem.

One of the straps on my gas tank snapped at 102000.

One of my front speakers was not working when I bought the car.

One of the wiper fluid squirter's never worked.

Gas tank was rusted through and the sending unit was rusted too, which led to the vehicle's end.

General Comments:

Although, the car was very cheap ($500), the stereo was the best part of it.

It may have been a piece of garbage, but I do not think that there are many other cars that could match it in the winter.

The rust was horrible. It had eaten right through both of my rocker panels and most of the hatch.

The gas mileage wasn't very good. I got roughly 20mpg in town and 25mpg on the highway.

It would always start with no problem even at -40F.

It took a while to warm up.

Review Date: 24th February, 2004