2001 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 5.4 V8 from North America

Summary:

Best quality and dependibility on any vehicle in my life, except maybe my 1929 Model A

The car is wonderful. If anything broke or wore out, I fixed it. Original engine and original transmission. Replaced differential at 150,000.

Replaced wiring harness at 100,000 - 50% coop from dealer.

Didn't rebuild front end or align until 348,000.

Replaced 2 blower motors, lots and lots of brake pads and a few calipers.

Replaced passenger window regulator and motor myself at 440,000.

Have replaced a grand total of 6 coil packs over the miles; went 200k on one set of plugs.

Tires as high as 118,000 on one set of Michelins, 80,000 on the next set.

Replaced exhaust manifold at about 375,000.

General Comments:

I love this truck and everything about it. It rides today like it was new, quiet and dependable. Everything works, although the digital odometer is only on about 50% of the time.

Review Date: 9th May, 2016

2001 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L from North America

Summary:

Great truck

3 coil packs, an injector, third light seal started leaking, odometer works intermittently. Routine maintenance.

General Comments:

Previous rig was a 1993 Explorer, hands down the most reliable vehicle I've had. Couldn't kill that thing, and sold it with 220k running like new.

I bought this truck at 81,000 miles in about perfect shape. I keep on ALL fluid changes and general routine maintenance. Had a few coil packs go bad every few years, and one injector. Easily serviceable parts.

Leather is still OK and in decent shape, albeit dirty from grease and grime over the years.

Love this truck, it's never let me down, and I run it hard to work, towing, hauling, in the mountains; whatever I throw at it, it takes. Gets about 15 MPG average, which is fine by me.

I'm noticing in its old age some plate chatter from the transmission when downshifting out of overdrive. Comes and goes, but otherwise still shifts perfect.

Like I said, just an awesome truck.

Review Date: 30th March, 2013

2001 Ford F150 XLT 4.2 gas from Guatemala

Summary:

Nice, roomy, comfortable and reliable

Front suspension replaced when bought (rod ends and ball joints).

Wiper lever blown (misuse).

Gearbox leaking fluid (faulty seal).

Rear doors lock release mechanism broken (plastic ends broken, replaced with washers).

General Comments:

I bought it after the nightmare I went through with my previous 1978 Datsun 1200 not liking my wife (the darned thing would fail everytime she got on it), and my wife not liking the car (she complained that it was neither a family car nor a real pick up truck). In the end, I went for a small family (3 members + dogs) car and a pick up truck, which would take us far comfortably, and ended up with this baby.

Engine is working fine, as mentioned had to replace the ball joints and rod-ends, did the basic maintenance (oil change and gear-box fluid change) and everything is now fine (ish), there is a persistent leak from the gear-box, which will be dealt with tomorrow.

Interior is fine, it came with the captain's chair and overhead console. Rear seats are fine for our 4 year old daughter. Rear doors came with the lock release cable damaged, which I repaired easily by replacing the broken parts with small washers (at least now they will not break).

I do like the ride, it makes you feel you own the road (compared to the average sized vehicles in Guatemala), it is comfortable, quiet and fast (no speeds over 90 mph in Guatemala).

Mileage is a bit of a problem, but comfort and luxury don't come free.

Cargo bed is good, suspension is great.

Review Date: 13th December, 2012

29th May 2013, 11:45

FROM THE OWNER: I finally got the leak solved, it was the replacement gasket that was misfitting, so my mechanic had to improvise.

The vehicle continues to work great, I hardly use it, only for taking my bikes to the garage or hauling minor loads. The vehicle is great for my family and our bags when traveling. No problems so far.