2001 Ford F150 XLT 4.2 gas from Guatemala

Summary:

Nice, roomy, comfortable and reliable

Front suspension replaced when bought (rod ends and ball joints).

Wiper lever blown (misuse).

Gearbox leaking fluid (faulty seal).

Rear doors lock release mechanism broken (plastic ends broken, replaced with washers).

General Comments:

I bought it after the nightmare I went through with my previous 1978 Datsun 1200 not liking my wife (the darned thing would fail everytime she got on it), and my wife not liking the car (she complained that it was neither a family car nor a real pick up truck). In the end, I went for a small family (3 members + dogs) car and a pick up truck, which would take us far comfortably, and ended up with this baby.

Engine is working fine, as mentioned had to replace the ball joints and rod-ends, did the basic maintenance (oil change and gear-box fluid change) and everything is now fine (ish), there is a persistent leak from the gear-box, which will be dealt with tomorrow.

Interior is fine, it came with the captain's chair and overhead console. Rear seats are fine for our 4 year old daughter. Rear doors came with the lock release cable damaged, which I repaired easily by replacing the broken parts with small washers (at least now they will not break).

I do like the ride, it makes you feel you own the road (compared to the average sized vehicles in Guatemala), it is comfortable, quiet and fast (no speeds over 90 mph in Guatemala).

Mileage is a bit of a problem, but comfort and luxury don't come free.

Cargo bed is good, suspension is great.

Review Date: 13th December, 2012

29th May 2013, 11:45

FROM THE OWNER: I finally got the leak solved, it was the replacement gasket that was misfitting, so my mechanic had to improvise.

The vehicle continues to work great, I hardly use it, only for taking my bikes to the garage or hauling minor loads. The vehicle is great for my family and our bags when traveling. No problems so far.

2001 Ford F150 King Ranch 4x4 5.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

Built Ford tough

Fuel pump went at 80k - expected.

Leather king ranch seats are a pain to maintain - sun damage from previous owner.

Noise from power steering.

Sunroof rattles.

General Comments:

BUILT FORD TOUGH.

I absolutely love this truck. Really sharp, go with the King Ranch if you can afford it. So reliable and so, so powerful.

I work on a farm, and nothing stops this truck. Can go through anything and everything, no problem.

I haven't calculated the fuel economy exactly, but I can go two weeks on one tank, and I do a lot of driving each day. I got a 25 gallon tank in this truck.

Very comfortable ride. The gas pedal and steering are very 'responsive'. Mine's not reached 100k, but I have no doubt it will rack up high mileage.

I will only drive Fords - no cheap GM truck can compare. Ford is an overall better built company. I laugh at other trucks. Built Ford tough.

Review Date: 1st November, 2010

27th Mar 2012, 07:34

You won't be laughing at the other trucks when your spark plug(s) blow out of that Triton.

2001 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 5.4 Liter from North America

Summary:

230,000 miles and counting

Two separate occasions, it has blown a spark plug out of the engine block. Enough to scare a grown man. Once was at a stop sign, the other was on the highway. I limped it to the side of the road and drove it 5 miles (can't go above 25 mph or starts to kick and buck) to the nearest Ford dealer. Took around 5 hours and cost about 700 dollars.

Other than that, typical wear for a truck with 230,000 miles on it. Just keep up with the normal maintenance such as fluids, bearings, brakes, and it will last you're a long time.

Starting to rust under door sills, but 10 years of Minnesota and Chicago winters will do that to the best of them.

General Comments:

This car has been amazing. Besides blowing a couple spark plugs (this is a known problem, but Ford won't acknowledge it), it has never let me down. It's been through more mud than most trucks ever see, and after a quick wash, it was good to go. 4x4 is a must if you live in any place with snow. If you haven't experienced a 2wd truck in the snow, it isn't too much fun.

With 230,000 miles, it keeps on 'trucking'. The truck is a daily driver, so that meant (and means) driving from my home to Chicago and back (traffic!) for a few years, 100's of trips to Michigan for fishing and snowmobiling (Including pulling a trailer dozen's of times), and long distance road trips to other states.

The bed as been used to haul rock for gravel road maintenance, haul ATV's and snowmobiles, and various other stuff.

Gas mileage is suffering now. It probably needs new O2 sensors but usually I can average 14 mpg on the highway. It's no Prius, but what car can do the things I've done with this truck?

My truck has been perfect, and I'd imagine if you do the minimum maintenance requirements, you will have the same luck with your truck. With over 200 thousand miles, I still wouldn't hesitate to go across country with it.

Review Date: 26th May, 2010