2000 Honda Accord Euro R 2.2 DOHC VTEC from Hong Kong

Summary:

A practical sports sedan that is cheap to run and fun to drive

Developed piston slap at around 150,000kms, and deteriorated very rapidly from there.

Loss of low end torque (probably due to the above).

Issues with the hydraulics on front brakes.

General Comments:

Before I bought the Euro R, I had just sold my BMW 330ci, so I was expecting quite a significant downgrade in performance. However I must say I was very much pleasantly surprised by the Euro R.

The red top H22A had some serious punch when it is revved into Vtec. For what it is, a moderately sized NA engine, it certainly has a lot of power in the top end to match the power of V6s. Overtaking on open roads was a breeze, and 100km/h to 140km/h is easily achieved in a few seconds in 3rd gear. Pity the Vtec kicks in quite late at 5800rpm, and the engine redlines at 7400rpm, making the best bits of the engine available in a very short time!

The handling of this car is also exceptional; whilst it is a FWD, I had to push it fairly hard to feel any understeer. I’ve found the factory Euro R suspension set up to be quite good, not harsh enough to make daily driving a pain, but solid enough to handle itself nicely when thrown around at speed.

Overall the car was performing very well (as well as being very, very cheap to run and insure for a car of this caliber) until I noticed some strange rattling noise from the low revs (1500rpm to 2000rpm) one day on my way to work. Didn’t pay too much attention at first, but it got worse and worse, until a point when I realised the big end bearings are on their way out. By then there was a considerable loss in low end torque and Vtec had less oomph. Very sad indeed as I was quoted a ridiculous amount to rebuild the engine and it was probably a cheaper option to replace the whole engine.

In the end I had it sold as I couldn’t be bothered with the cost/time for a transplant or a rebuilt.

Despite the bearings crapping out, the Euro R is still a very good car. Can’t be compared to turbo cars in sheer power, but they definitely have their place as a well engineered and well balanced sports car.

For people looking at buying one, yeah why not, but best is to find one with less than 100,000kms on the clock, as I was told the R-engines will need a lot of work once they age.

Review Date: 12th April, 2010

2000 Honda Accord EX from North America

Summary:

Great, reliable car

Transmission, during a recall recently after purchasing the car.

General Comments:

I am 19 years old. My parents bought this car in 1999, they knew I would eventually drive it.

The car has been incredibly reliable, with the exception of the transmission recall all 2000 Accords had, which Honda replaced.

I really enjoy driving the car, and it was a perfect size car for me to learn to drive with, and as I said, has never had many problems.

I would recommend this car to anyone. It is also pretty good on gas.

Review Date: 11th February, 2010

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 3.0L from North America

Summary:

One of the best cars in the world

The battery died after 19 months - warranty replacement done by the dealer - cost me a day of work.

In the third year (50,000 km) both rear wheel bearings went bad - warranty repair.

The alternator blew the rectifier bridge diode after five years (110k) - could not get a kit, had to buy the whole thing (300 CAD). Also bought a service manual - 200 CAD.

Got the check engine light at 115k, turned out to be the EGR - factory recall paid for that.

Changed the timing belt and water pump at 123,000 km, done it myself - parts + tools = 500 CAD and a solid day of work.

Front stabilizer bulb-joint became loose after 7 years and had to be replaced, did both sides - 80 CAD.

After 8 years the light cluster mounted on the trunk started taking water - had it apart and resealed - two days of work!

I routinely replace rotors and brake pads every 40-50,000km. Costs less than 400 CAD.

After 8 years the driver's seat starts to show wear - the plastic leather peals off.

After 9 years it is starting to rust.

General Comments:

Best car I ever drove. Quiet inside, sticks to the road like glue. It has a hard sporty suspension that lets the driver feel the road. As far as speed goes, this one will not go past 210km/h, and at 140kph feels like my old Mercury Topaz did at 90.

Very nice ride on the original Michelin Energy tires.

Things to change:

1. Check engine light needs to be more elaborate - I do not wish to be taken to the cleaners when it comes on.

2. Alloy rims leak air once the tire is older then 3 years.

3. Odometer LCD and radio LCD are flaky - this is most likely a zebra connector problem.

4. Switches with internal lights - cruise lamp died in the last year.

5. The timing belt replacement interval - this should not happen in this day and age.

Review Date: 6th August, 2009