1994 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0 I-6 from North America

Summary:

A Utilitarian Champ!

I have replaced the fan belt due to normal wear.

I replaced all 4 tires and the spare due to wear and a defect. (NOT FACTORY TIRES)

Paint quality is poor. Clear coat peels prematurely.

General Comments:

Is this a great quality automobile? If you are looking for a daily driver with acceptable fuel economy (15-17) mpg, and need a 4WD for moderate off road use, you could not find more bang for the buck. The transmission is strong and the 4.0 inline six is just shy of indestructible.

If you are looking for great fuel economy and seldom leave dry pavement, you will be disappointed. Many station wagons can match its cargo and provide better economy and handling.

What you get with the Cherokee is a rugged no frills package with crude appointments. My wife's Hemi powered 2009 Limited is plush and extremely refined. We have yet however to take it to the beach or on any hunting trips. I did not purchase my 94 Cherokee for what it has, but more so for what it has not.

Check axles prior to purchasing used models as some have reported problems. I have had none.

Review Date: 26th April, 2010

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 high output from North America

Summary:

The Jeep is everything I anticipated, and much more!

The only work done on this Jeep is regular service and maintenance.

General Comments:

The command-trac 4 wheel drive system is flawless when it comes to performance. With the addition of a larger tire with an aggressive tread pattern and a couple of lockers, the Jeep will take you to places you would never dream of.

Some drivers might top off the command-trac system with a lift kit to get a better view of things!

Review Date: 28th February, 2010

1994 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Awesome

Brakes changed once in the 4 years I owned the vehicle.

Air compressor replaced.

Front 4 wheel u-joints replaced on both sides.

Muffler replaced at 160K.

Fuel pump replaced at approx 198K.

Tires replaced at 180K.

General Comments:

This was probably the best vehicle I ever owned. Most items I replaced were normal wear; yes the tires do wear out, as does the muffler, etc. You have to expect "some" repairs on a used vehicle.

I would have kept mine, but a tow truck ran into us, and the Jeep was written off by my insurance company.

We are presently looking for another Jeep GC, preferably the years 1994, or 1998. These 2 years were the best Jeeps built.

My wife initially wanted a Mazda Tribute, it ain't going to happen, we are now looking for a 94 or 98 Jeep GC!

My occupation is a mechanic. I work on all types of vehicles.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2010

1994 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L H.O. from Venezuela

Summary:

After 14 years, it's excellent to drive, powerful, durable, and reliable

There were a few problems with the steering bar doing cracking sounds when it was new. It was fixed by a mechanic.

Some hoses that came installed when the car were bought, deteriorated with time, and had to be replaced.

General Comments:

I totally love this car! After 14 years of use and abuse, I must say that the only thing actually wrong with this vehicle is the amount of fuel it consumes.

I live in Caracas and this city is a driver's hell. Traffic is terrible, but even worse is that the road maintenance is the worst thing ever, in rainy seasons it gets worse. Broken roads, flooded roads, bad angles of inclination, anything that can go wrong on-road, you name it. I've been there and this car has never let me down! I figure other cars "can" drive trough most of that, but certainly not without compromising the durability of the car.

I do very little of off-road driving, only occasional dirt roads but that's it. On occasions I drive through places where I wouldn't drive a sedan. Drives perfectly on dirt roads and other poor quality terrain.

It drives very neatly, and it's actually comfortable to drive. The engine is very powerful. Acceleration and braking are pretty good for normal and aggressive driving. Excellent road and highway performance. I think it's partly because the car weight is kind of light for a vehicle of it's class.

This car is getting old, but it's working like it's new. I'd look forward to buying a new car if Jeep would only produce an improved version of the XJ with new technology. The new SUVs on the market seem too heavy, it feels like they lack power, and they also seem larger and less convenient. I'm wondering what in the world I'm going to drive in the future.

Review Date: 7th June, 2008