1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Rugged beast, ideal frills-free SUV

Problems with clutch - extremely stiff, had some clutch linkage doo-hickey snap on me while taking off from an intersection. Replaced by dealer, cost about 400 bucks.

Fuel pressure regulator had to be replaced, which solved the hard-to-start theatrics that plagued me over a whole year until my mechanic told me what was what.

Windshield leaded like a sieve in heavy rain.

General Comments:

I owned this car in Minnesota and it was just the thing to get a fella through a tough winter. Snow drifts? No problem. 4 x 4 worked great and got me home every time.

A few relatively minor problems here and there didn't get me down. It was what an American car SHOULD be (but all too often isn't) : tough, rugged, with a super engine. Guzzles lots of gas though.

Review Date: 25th March, 2005

21st Jul 2005, 17:45

I am a 16 year old guy looking for my first car. I've heard good and bad things about it, but I live in Arizona and I don't drive that much. Could anyone tell me if this is a good car worth pursuing?

20th Sep 2005, 09:15

I have enjoyed every year that I have owned my 1994 Cherokee Sport (purchased in 1998 with <30k miles), but unless you need the 4x4 option, I would go with another vehicle that got better gas mileage. Like one other responder noted, he has never been disappointed in getting home in snow, granted I don't live in snow country either, but I likewise have always gotten to work and back when the other cars were stacked up on the curb. I don't know how much snow you get in Arizona unless you're in the mountains, but again unless you're going to take your new vehicle off road, I wouldn't bother getting a vehicle for that ability just so you can say you can.

1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 Liter from North America

Summary:

I have never been more infatuated with a car in my entire life

I do not remember the mileage at which these occurred:

Fuel pump broke.

U-Joints needed replacement.

Brake cylinders imploded.

Front shocks wore out.

Passenger side door fell off hinges.

The ignition key hole wouldn't turn.

Radiator broke.

General Comments:

This Jeep is very reliable when well maintained.

It follows through with it's promise of off-roading performance.

Review Date: 8th March, 2005

1994 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Straight Six from North America

Summary:

My Cherokee is solid, reliable, tough, and niosy!

The first item that went wrong with my jeep was a cam sensor. When this went it caused my car to stop running in mid-drive, and I had to be towed. This occurred at about 100,000 miles.

A Caliper seized. Around 100,000 miles my front caliper seized in the middle of an hour long car ride, I did not stop, which destroyed my rotor and caliper, I had to get to work.

Starts a little rough, but, I expect this.

Needed one set of tires.

The filter and plug sweat oil, but never enough that I need to add oil between changes.

General Comments:

This is my first four-wheel-drive car and I have to say that it is a god-send, my Jeep, though just stock, and with all weather tires will go through anything I throw at it. It can make it through deep snow, and moderately deep mud. I have not gotten it in a situation where four-wheel-low could not get me out of.

The ride is that of an SUV. My shocks are old and even when they were newer the vehicle still rode like I was in the back of a hay wagon.

To go along with being an SUV the Jeep has no acceleration. There is a lot of torque, but, off the line a moped could pass me. My Jeep is standard which allows me to compensate for the lack of acceleration through my shifting.

The vehicle has never given me much problems, but, it is always sounding like it is on the verge of falling apart. The dash board vibration, the seat vibration, the engine on a cold morning, and just in general road noise.

I would buy another Cherokee, it is a solid vehicle that has been good to me and goes where I want it to, when I want it to.

Review Date: 25th February, 2005

28th Feb 2005, 13:28

The only thing I liked about my Jeep Cherokee is the power the h.o. 6 cylinder has. It has bad plug wires and plugs and still puts you against the seat when you hold it to the floor. Very useful when passing slow people who think they should speed up when you pass them, the can't hardly touch it.

The front end of it feels as though it is going to fly apart and the door hinges broke, other than that it is a super vehicle. (Could use more cargo room)

10th Oct 2005, 14:21

It sounds like you got the 4cyl jeep engine and I have heard that they are dead dog in the acceleration department, but like the previous commenter, I have the inline 4.0L 6cyl and I have never had any problem with acceleration from starts or between 55 to 75mph.

24th Feb 2009, 06:46

I would agree with the other two comment posters, I have heard that the 4 cyl had acceleration issues, but I have had my 4.0 Liter inline 6 1994Cherokee since 1998 and have NEVER had acceleration issues with it.

When I first owned it I could expect 20+mpg on the Hwy and 18-19 mixed, that has declined in recent years (I now have >180K miles on it), but still feel I have gotten my money's worth.

26th Jan 2010, 16:06

I just recently bought a 1994 Jeep Sport H.O. I have to say it's a good vehicle for what I've had it (2 weeks), even though I have a TPS issue still that I can't fix, and it rattles from the top when I accelerate fast. But it goes everywhere I have gone through (the best was a ten foot 70 degree angle up a rock slide) and came up against. I love that truck, even if I am a CHEVY guy!!!