1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0 litre from North America

My friends wish their trucks were as tough

Replaced power steering lines.

Replaced EGR controller.

General Comments:

Good reliable truck, despite its high miles. I would purchase another given the chance.

Review Date: 5th November, 2010

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer from North America

There is no truck better than the MJ!

I bought this great Jeep truck as second owner in '05 for 600.00. It is 6 cylinder 4x4 and has a 5 speed trans.

It made a loud squealing sound and the windshield visor clip broke on the way home. The ride and power seamed really good for the year and felt almost like new. Even though the faded red paint, torn headliner, ripped drivers seats, badly dented bed, missing tailgate, and weathered 15" tires, I still think it was one of the best buys I ever made!

General Comments:

The squealing noise turned out to be a clogged sock screen in side the gas tank. I fixed it and the sound went away for good. I added 16' wheels and all terrain tires, and it has helped improved the ride. I'll raise it up 3 or 4 inches and change the shocks, which will improve it even more.

This truck is quick and tight, and has the factory roll bar that really adds to it looks.

I am slowly getting all the things fixed on it. One day I will finish it the way I want it, and I know now that I would never sell it.

I worked at this Docs house and he kept asking me to sell it. He finally offered to trade his nice but older BMW car for it. His car is worth at least 5k. That was a hard one to pass up let me tell ya!

A Pittsburgh guy who is a collector, offered 2200 the way it sits. What's funny about that is it books out at 6-800. I guess some people just know a good thing when they see one!

Review Date: 24th November, 2009

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0 I6 from North America

Perfect for all around needs

The truck needed a new head gasket, new rear brakes and drums and exhaust, just basic wear and tear items, and nothing more than normal maintenance.

Normal floor pan rust that will be replaced. Needs new paint.

General Comments:

We picked this Comanche up sight unseen from a individual in Texas. I have owned 2 Cherokees and have been a Jeep fan, and have always wanted a Comanche. It was worth the wait. The versatility and utility are really unmatched. I wish Chrysler would have realized this and valued this truck as much as Comanche owners do, and did more to promote the truck. It was a perfect truck then as it still is today.

Although it still needs quite a bit of work to make it road worthy, my daughter and I had a blast yesterday just running around our pasture. We drove it over 400 miles home and got 27 miles per gallon.

This is the Pioneer with a long bed 4x4, bench seat. The handling is on a dime and responsive as with all Cherokees, the bed is large enough to hold a full sized ATV and still have a bit of room left. Ours has a 3" lift with 30" mud tires. Not real quiet going down the road, but give some to get through the muck which there is no beating any Jeep.

Review Date: 8th April, 2009

4th May 2011, 16:59

Doubt that it got 27 MPG. There is no way it could get that unless it was a 4 cyl and a 4cyl of this particular Jeep never got this good of gas MPG.

5th Feb 2015, 20:33

I think 27 MPG is do-able. My 4.0/manual always got around 22/highway, and that was in the hills around Atlanta.

If you aren't taking any steep grades, and you are running in 5th gear, 27 MPG is possible. I don't know about steady 27, but overall...

16th Apr 2015, 00:55

Just a quick comment on a 88 Jeep Comanche 4x4 5 speed manual 4,0 inline 6 cylinder. I have had mine since new, one hell of a good truck, tough and durable for sure. You are lucky if you get 22 MPG; I have never gotten better than 17-18, even on highway driving, what's the secret?? Just making a comment, nothing derogatory intended. If you have a secret for the 22 MPG, please share. Take care all Jeep drivers, have a good one.