1988 Jeep Comanche Reviews

1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0 litre from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 4.0 litre Automatic
Previous carPontiac Parisienne

Summary:

My friends wish their trucks were as tough

Replaced power steering lines.

Replaced EGR controller.

General Comments:

Good reliable truck, despite its high miles. I would purchase another given the chance.

Review Date: 5th November, 2010

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carChevrolet 3104 Pickup

Summary:

There is no truck better than the MJ!

I bought this great Jeep truck as second owner in '05 for 600.00. It is 6 cylinder 4x4 and has a 5 speed trans.

It made a loud squealing sound and the windshield visor clip broke on the way home. The ride and power seamed really good for the year and felt almost like new. Even though the faded red paint, torn headliner, ripped drivers seats, badly dented bed, missing tailgate, and weathered 15" tires, I still think it was one of the best buys I ever made!

General Comments:

The squealing noise turned out to be a clogged sock screen in side the gas tank. I fixed it and the sound went away for good. I added 16' wheels and all terrain tires, and it has helped improved the ride. I'll raise it up 3 or 4 inches and change the shocks, which will improve it even more.

This truck is quick and tight, and has the factory roll bar that really adds to it looks.

I am slowly getting all the things fixed on it. One day I will finish it the way I want it, and I know now that I would never sell it.

I worked at this Docs house and he kept asking me to sell it. He finally offered to trade his nice but older BMW car for it. His car is worth at least 5k. That was a hard one to pass up let me tell ya!

A Pittsburgh guy who is a collector, offered 2200 the way it sits. What's funny about that is it books out at 6-800. I guess some people just know a good thing when they see one!

Review Date: 24th November, 2009

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0 I6 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 4.0 I6 Manual
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Perfect for all around needs

The truck needed a new head gasket, new rear brakes and drums and exhaust, just basic wear and tear items, and nothing more than normal maintenance.

Normal floor pan rust that will be replaced. Needs new paint.

General Comments:

We picked this Comanche up sight unseen from a individual in Texas. I have owned 2 Cherokees and have been a Jeep fan, and have always wanted a Comanche. It was worth the wait. The versatility and utility are really unmatched. I wish Chrysler would have realized this and valued this truck as much as Comanche owners do, and did more to promote the truck. It was a perfect truck then as it still is today.

Although it still needs quite a bit of work to make it road worthy, my daughter and I had a blast yesterday just running around our pasture. We drove it over 400 miles home and got 27 miles per gallon.

This is the Pioneer with a long bed 4x4, bench seat. The handling is on a dime and responsive as with all Cherokees, the bed is large enough to hold a full sized ATV and still have a bit of room left. Ours has a 3" lift with 30" mud tires. Not real quiet going down the road, but give some to get through the muck which there is no beating any Jeep.

Review Date: 8th April, 2009

4th May 2011, 16:59

Doubt that it got 27 MPG. There is no way it could get that unless it was a 4 cyl and a 4cyl of this particular Jeep never got this good of gas MPG.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer Short Bed 4.0L from North America

Year of manufacture1987
Engine and transmission 4.0L Manual
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

I love my new Jeep!!!

I bought it from a fellow teen who had blown out two transmissions, and had wrecked it going 20 into a non moving object.

I currently have it in the shop having the clutch replaced and transmission. I plan to replace the upper panel, bumper and fender this week.

General Comments:

So far I LOVE THIS TRUCK.

This is my first truck, and it is only gonna cost me about 900 bucks total to have a very reliable truck that I will have for years.

I bought the truck for 300 bucks, and so far even though I've only had it a week and not driven it, I can tell that this is the best 300 bucks I've ever spent.

Even though it is a 4X2, it will do all of the things I need it to, from camping with the boy Scouts to pulling trailers from A to B. And driving 5 hours to go to a POW WOW.

It is a 5 speed manual, which is what I have been looking for in a truck, and it will get good gas millage, which is gonna be very nice at the prices of gas this summer.

There IS NO RUST ON THIS TRUCK, even though it is 20 years old. It has less rust than my dad’s Ford that I've been driving.

All in all, it's gonna take me a total of 1000 bucks to have this awesome truck that will make my friends envy who have big Chevy’s.

Review Date: 1st May, 2008

2nd May 2008, 08:10

Sounds like Pie-In-The-Sky Dreaming to me.

If you can get away with spending $1000 and having a "reliable" truck for years, more power to you.

However an old vehicle like that will probably require a lot more work.

Sorry.

25th Aug 2008, 14:52

My husband owns a 1987 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, and he loves it. We've had it for about 14 years now, and all we have to do is keep it up, no really big cost there.

He wants to sells it now, as we are moving and will get a new truck.

But just wanted to let you know, those trucks are babes!!

Janey.