1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0L from North America

Best impulse buy I ever made

There has always been quite a bit of oil leakage on the engine, the exhaust system went on it too.

General Comments:

I bought this truck brand new off the showroom floor in '88 without really shopping for it. Man it was the best impulse buy I ever made, I got the one ton model and let me tell you that thing hauls everything imaginable.

Review Date: 25th February, 2001

25th Oct 2004, 03:23

I have a 1988 Comanche SB with the 4.0L I6 which now has just over 240,000 miles on it. I must say that this truck is the most awsome thing ever built, it is somewhat beat up and I need to do some body work on it, but am have trouble finding parts in decent shape. Anyone with any suggestions?

26th Sep 2005, 10:07

Try some scrapped cherokees.

26th Apr 2006, 01:19

I think the One Ton Metric Long Bed, 4X4, 4.0ltr, 5 spd XLS, is about the rarest Comanche I have ever seen... I now own it and can't imagine ever selling it as I now have 225K miles on it. Just a great Vehicle!

1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0L inline 6 cylinder from North America

Sporty, reliable truck

- Starter went, replaced it myself, $200.00.

- Window crank keeps busting, $13.00 each time.

- Rear end (axle gears), my fault. Trying to do a chewy in reverse - $1,100.

General Comments:

It is a great first vehicle. It is a sports truck and has lots of low end power. It takes nothing at all to light 'em up. Easy to throw around in the dirt and snow. I don't have 4x4 which kind of sucks. But for a 2 wheel drive it will take you almost anywhere you want to go.

The bucket seats are comfortable and when they are set way back you have lots of leg room.

I have experienced a major loss in power. It is partly my fault for driving it so hard. It started with 190hp brand new, now I estimate that it has around 125hp. Overall it is a reliable, sporty truck.

I have tinted the window and added fox stickers on the fog lights and rear window. It is a sporty truck and I am hoping to get at least $5,000 for it, but I am willing to go lower. For pictures and other questions e-mail me at, Bud_yser@budweiser.com

Review Date: 30th November, 2000