1988 Jeep Comanche I-6 from North America

Summary:

A reliable and unique vehicle at a bargain price

Brake rotors and rear drums were replaced at 115,000 miles.

The engine has an intermittent miss (hiccup) which the local dealer cannot seem to fix.

Some rust is appearing on the tailgate.

General Comments:

The vehicle is unique for this region.

With the long wheelbase, the truck rides reasonably well, and in 4X virtually unstoppable in the snow.

Though the truck is reasonably quiet at low speeds, the wind noise at highway speeds is tiresome.

The truck has been very reliable with very low overall maintenance costs.

Review Date: 12th March, 2003

1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0L inline six cylinder from North America

Summary:

Lots of bang for the buck

I have had a blow-by problem, which I still haven't figured out how to fix.

I replaced the brakes.

Exhaust system was redone.

Leaks some oil from somewhere. I think it's the rear main seal.

Driver's side floor board is rusting out.

Hydraulic lifters are ticking. They are getting fixed soon.

General Comments:

This truck has a lot of low end torque and seems to handle very good in snow so far.

I like the manual transmission as well as the four wheel drive.

The steering is a little vague, but it is a truck.

If anyone knows how to fix my blow-by problem please email me. I have already replaced the ccv valve, and cleaned the valve cover up. gearhead_852000@yahoo.com.

Review Date: 9th February, 2003

21st Mar 2005, 06:34

The only good advice I can offer as of now is to rebuild the engine. The piston rings are what cause you to have the blow by. The rings slowly wear to allow the compression in the piston chambers to escape around the pistons. I am currently replacing my 4.0L with a crate motor for this very same problem.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0 Litre I-6 from North America

Summary:

One of Jeep's finest offerings ever!

The motor was tired. It belonged to a farmer who used it to irrigate, so it idled a lot & breathed a lot of dust over the years. At 145000 miles, I replaced the engine. The paint is nearly gone on the hood & top.

General Comments:

Competition in the small truck market was too much for AMC in the late 80's & early 90's. Too bad it's not still in production! I use the truck primarily for hunting/fishing/4-wheeling. It has never left me stranded and I'd put it up against rock crawlers with 4x what I have in it.

Review Date: 1st February, 2003

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0L I6 from North America

Summary:

A truck for any lover of Jeep vehicles

Water pump replacement.

Valve cover replacement. (To fix the blow-by problem)

Replacement of vacuum hoses.

Replacement of axle seals.

Replacement of all radiator hoses.

Transfer case leaked oil, but had it repaired.

Many many small rust spots appearing.

Tailgate handle heavily rusted and had to be replaced.

Steering is a little sloppy.

General Comments:

This truck is amazing, I love everything about it. When I bought it I had a lot of engine work done to get it running in perfect condition. Now that the engine work is out of the way I gotta start on the body work. The Comanche's are very prone to rust and mine has collected a few spots. Mainly on the bottoms of the doors. But I look past all of the trucks problems and I see the potential of a fierce off-road machine.

I have driven the vehicle off-road stock for a few months now and I have never gotten stuck. With the 4 wheel drive option it handles mud like it was smooth black top.

With so much low end torque the Comanche is able to provide the driver with a lot of acceleration. With this I have been able to do many burnouts and donuts as well as power drifting around corners on dry pavement.

The Comanche in winter is a perfect vehicle. While the back-end is light the four-wheel drive will fix that problem and maneuverability will increase greatly on snow and ice. I am also very proud of the Comanches ability to perform drifting around corners in the snow; as it is easy to swing the back end out and then bring it all back for a very controlled drift.

There are alot of things to maintain, but if you keep your truck clean you should never have a problem with it.

I believe this is one of the best vehicles made by Jeep and I think that it was a bad decision to have stopped producing these amazing vehicles.

Review Date: 15th December, 2002

7th Feb 2009, 18:46

In my truck I love mudding in it. I have had mud come over the hood, and have out climbed and out mud bogged many trucks. It is the best truck I have ever offroaded in.