1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0L I6 from North America

A truck for any lover of Jeep vehicles

Water pump replacement.

Valve cover replacement. (To fix the blow-by problem)

Replacement of vacuum hoses.

Replacement of axle seals.

Replacement of all radiator hoses.

Transfer case leaked oil, but had it repaired.

Many many small rust spots appearing.

Tailgate handle heavily rusted and had to be replaced.

Steering is a little sloppy.

General Comments:

This truck is amazing, I love everything about it. When I bought it I had a lot of engine work done to get it running in perfect condition. Now that the engine work is out of the way I gotta start on the body work. The Comanche's are very prone to rust and mine has collected a few spots. Mainly on the bottoms of the doors. But I look past all of the trucks problems and I see the potential of a fierce off-road machine.

I have driven the vehicle off-road stock for a few months now and I have never gotten stuck. With the 4 wheel drive option it handles mud like it was smooth black top.

With so much low end torque the Comanche is able to provide the driver with a lot of acceleration. With this I have been able to do many burnouts and donuts as well as power drifting around corners on dry pavement.

The Comanche in winter is a perfect vehicle. While the back-end is light the four-wheel drive will fix that problem and maneuverability will increase greatly on snow and ice. I am also very proud of the Comanches ability to perform drifting around corners in the snow; as it is easy to swing the back end out and then bring it all back for a very controlled drift.

There are alot of things to maintain, but if you keep your truck clean you should never have a problem with it.

I believe this is one of the best vehicles made by Jeep and I think that it was a bad decision to have stopped producing these amazing vehicles.

Review Date: 15th December, 2002

7th Feb 2009, 18:46

In my truck I love mudding in it. I have had mud come over the hood, and have out climbed and out mud bogged many trucks. It is the best truck I have ever offroaded in.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0 from UK and Ireland

Great Truck!

The window crank broke

Alternator went out at 220,000

Tail gate broke off.

General Comments:

Runs great only have let me down once, but we got the truck back (alternator went out we had to jump start it every 20 mile all the why back to home). But still a great 4x4. Lights them up every time!

Review Date: 12th December, 2002

1988 Jeep Comanche Base 242 4.0 l6 cylinder from North America

Extremely dependable 4*4 power

The pistons and valves were knocking, I paid $1,200 and rebuilt the engine.

The water pump was replaced at the same time.

I replaced the radiator and all hoses, because the engine was overheating.

I recently replaced the front rotors and pads.

I had the rear drums turned and replaced the shoes and springs and lines.

General Comments:

I've had this thing through some awful stuff and it always brought me out of what it put me in.

I love my truck and wouldn't give it up for the world.

Most the parts I've replaced didn't need replacing, but I wanted too.

I've had it up to 130mph and it handled well, but is a little tippy.

The tires will light up on a dime and it goes 0-60 in 8.5.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2002

1988 Jeep Comanche Base 4.0 inline 6 from North America

Best truck ever made!!!

The main thing with the engine was the exhaust valve.

I changed the tires and brakes, and nothing else.

General Comments:

To be honest with everyone, this is the best truck to buy.

It has crazy low-end torque and awesome acceleration.

I pull my friends who have 4x4s out of ditches like it was nothing.

The cab is pretty small, but hey...

My friend has a new Ford Explorer 4x4 and it's lower to the ground than my truck which is only 2x4.

I added an open air filter to this truck (cold air) and it made all the difference.

I come up to some little rice (Civics) and buried them behind me.

I would buy one is a second if they would come back in reproduction.

Review Date: 26th February, 2002