1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer Short Bed 4.0L from North America

I love my new Jeep!!!

I bought it from a fellow teen who had blown out two transmissions, and had wrecked it going 20 into a non moving object.

I currently have it in the shop having the clutch replaced and transmission. I plan to replace the upper panel, bumper and fender this week.

General Comments:

This is my first truck, and it is only gonna cost me about 900 bucks total to have a very reliable truck that I will have for years.

I bought the truck for 300 bucks, and so far even though I've only had it a week and not driven it, I can tell that this is the best 300 bucks I've ever spent.

Even though it is a 4X2, it will do all of the things I need it to, from camping with the boy Scouts to pulling trailers from A to B. And driving 5 hours to go to a POW WOW.

It is a 5 speed manual, which is what I have been looking for in a truck, and it will get good gas millage, which is gonna be very nice at the prices of gas this summer.

There IS NO RUST ON THIS TRUCK, even though it is 20 years old. It has less rust than my dad’s Ford that I've been driving.

All in all, it's gonna take me a total of 1000 bucks to have this awesome truck that will make my friends envy who have big Chevy’s.

Review Date: 1st May, 2008

2nd May 2008, 08:10

Sounds like Pie-In-The-Sky Dreaming to me.

If you can get away with spending $1000 and having a "reliable" truck for years, more power to you.

However an old vehicle like that will probably require a lot more work.

25th Aug 2008, 14:52

My husband owns a 1987 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, and he loves it. We've had it for about 14 years now, and all we have to do is keep it up, no really big cost there.

He wants to sells it now, as we are moving and will get a new truck.

But just wanted to let you know, those trucks are babes!!

1988 Jeep Comanche Eliminator 4.0 6 Cylinder from North America

The Comanche is the best small pickup ever built

No major problems. Mostly just the expected wear and tear of a truck with 150,000 miles on it. Needs a new paint job. Emissions control lines have worn out and were replaced. Driver's side window will only roll down about 2/3 of the way before it goes off track. It blows a fuse every time the air conditioner is turned on. Also it needs a new antenna for the radio.

General Comments:

I paid a very reasonable price for the truck from an individual. There is very little rust and although it needs a paint job, there are no dents or dings in the body with the exception of a slightly bent bumper on the right rear corner. The bed is a little scratched up, but has no dents. So far this little truck has impressed me greatly. It gets between 18 and 20 miles per gallon, which for a truck this old with as many miles it has is very good in my opinion. The engine is very strong and it has enough power and torque to pull what a full size truck could pull with no problem. No fluid leaks are noticeable. There is quite a bit of ground clearance for a small two wheel drive truck.

I am surprised that more were not built. This is by far the best used vehicle I have ever purchase for the price, and as long as the general maintenance is done, I strongly believe that it will last until the body falls off.

The only drawback is that since this is a rare truck, parts are fairly difficult to find, but if you really look, you can find what you need.

Review Date: 11th May, 2007