1988 Jeep Comanche 2wd Eliminator 4.0 I6 from North America

Fun, easy to work on and reliable

CPS (Crank Position Sensor)

General Comments:

I bought this sporty little truck as a second vehicle that I planned to use to haul minor loads of whatever and do some minor off-pavement exploring. As it turns out I quite enjoy driving it.

I did the usual maintaince when I first got it (plugs, wires, cap/rotor, oil/filter). Also, the alternator was pretty weak and the radiator was also looking pretty rotten so I replaced both.

About a week after I had the truck, it wouldn't start one morning. It sounded like it wasn't getting any spark. After a few hours research on the net I came to the conclusion that the problem was the result of the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) failing. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and away we went. Some people said it was usually just the connector that was at fault, but I decided to change out the whole sensor and harness.

I found parts relatively cheap (compared to Japanese or European autos) and did all the labor myself.

Review Date: 10th February, 2002

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0 liter inline from North America

Why aren't there more? They're great!

The brakes need replacing. This is understandable because of how hard it is driven.

Rear bumper was removed in an accident while in the care of its previous owner.

Window handle broke.

General Comments:

I replaced his makeshift bumper with a section of 6" x 6" construction beam with a 10,000 pound tow hook bolted on. Have towed large trees off of it with no problem in low range. Works as good as a log skidder.

Plenty of power for its size.

Cab is fairly small.

Very difficult to get stuck. I have taken it through various off road trails with numerous obstacles such as steep hills, downed trees, streams, sand and deep ruts/washouts. It has also taken me through sand dunes with no problem. All in a stock vehicle.

The size is perfect for a trail rig, but leaves room for use as a work truck.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2001

17th Aug 2005, 21:06

After 19 years and 137000 miles in the U.P. it has lasted longer than I could have expected. Hasn't skipped a beat yet.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4.0 straight six from North America

This was an amazing truck in its day

The fuel pump blew two months ago due to tremendous burn-outs.

The material on the inside of the roof is falling off.

General Comments:

Even though this truck is now thirteen it will still blow away most trucks of the same size today. It accelerates well and is solid and strong.

For a small truck it pulls like an ox and even though it is only two wheel drive, it is fairly hard to get stuck in foot deep snow.

The steering is pretty worn and the brakes are becoming a bit spongy.

Other than the fuel pump I have done nearly nothing to this truck in the past three years.

Review Date: 5th May, 2001

26th May 2001, 19:36

What a great review, I agree with the quality of the comanche completely.

30th May 2001, 22:29

When you say that the steering is worn, do you mean when you hit a bump a certain way it shimmys in the front end?

4th Jun 2001, 15:40

I just rolled 200K on my '88. Being the original owner I know how hard I have driven (punished) this vehicle. Only two clutches, three brake jobs, the original paint, and one headliner missing in action. I updated the wheels with '90 Jeep alloy wheels. It really looks great. I am surprised they aren't more popular considering how rare they are. Why aren't they collectible like the CJ7s and 8s? I would rather own a Comanche than a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. I have been approached on the street and asked if this was really a Jeep. Are there any Comanche Clubs out there? Send comments to mickey.walker@prodigy.net.

1st Nov 2002, 19:53

We have a 88 jeep Comanche and its still running, but starts really hard. Sometimes when cold out it won't run it turns over till the battery is dead. Its got over 300,000 but when it starts it runs great. A little bit rusty, but not too bad. Any one that can help me on figuring the problem with it not starting would be great. my email is auntie_65@yahoo.com... thanks.. lisa.

11th Jun 2005, 00:51

I own a 1992 Jeep Comanche. I love This truck so much. I have not had a single problem with it so far. It has a little over 106,000 miles on it. This is the best truck ever made and I am planning on keeping it till I die. The low end torque is great. The stock 4.0 inline six could use more power. I am going to do some work to the inline six to get more power out of it. "IT is not a vehicle unless it is a Jeep"

5th Sep 2005, 13:14

I own a 1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer " olympic Edition " I bought it from my brother who was the original owner. This truck is the best. It has 79,000 original miles is rusted to hell, but runs like the wind. I've owned it for two years and it has been a solid performer for it's age. The 4.0 liter engine is very strong for this size vehicle. Then 4x4 system is great in the harsh Buffalo winters. I haven't been stuck once. Everything is mechanically sound. I added a Pioneer C-D player, Pioneer 4 channel amp, 6x9's behind the seat, and co-axial component speakers in the doors, it pumps!! I love owning a Jeep and especially my Comanche pickup.